Bad luck [Study As­sess­ment]

posted by Helmut Homepage – Vienna, Austria, 2018-08-01 15:37 (2084 d 22:25 ago) – Posting: # 19122
Views: 4,030

Hi Mikalai,

❝ […] Unfortunately, results one of analytes, a parent drug, fell sightly outside of the 80-125% range, below 80% for Cmax.

Bad luck. If you planned the study for assumed CV, T/R-ratio, and a dropout-rate for a desired power π the chance that you fail to demonstrate (if all assumptions turn out to be correct) is β = 1 – π. In other words, if you aimed at 80% power, 15 of studies of products which are BE will fail by pure chance. That’s part of the game.

❝ […] and post-hoc power was less than 80% for this analyte.

Although post-hoc power is irrelevant, if you planned for 80% and fail to show BE it will be <80%. As expected.

❝ Are there any ways we can defend bioequivalence without conducting another BE trail?

I don’t know how your agency deals with that. For the EMA and the FDA chances are close to nil.

❝ All other analytes fell within 80-125%.

Nice, but you have to demonstrate BE for all.

❝ Specifically, what should we put in the protocol …

You can’t change the protocol once the study is done, right?

❝ … or in a supporting letter to justify our lower border of CI around 79% for Cmax?

I don’t see how you could do that.
Example: Study planned for CV 25%, T/R-ratio 0.95, 80% power ⇒ n 28. All as expected, except a worse T/R 0.88  ⇒ 90% 78.66–98.45%. If you play around with α you will see that the patients’ risk will be 7.97% instead of ≤5%. I don’t think that any agency will accept that.

Dif-tor heh smusma 🖖🏼 Довге життя Україна! [image]
Helmut Schütz
[image]

The quality of responses received is directly proportional to the quality of the question asked. 🚮
Science Quotes

Complete thread:

UA Flag
Activity
 Admin contact
22,984 posts in 4,822 threads, 1,650 registered users;
46 visitors (0 registered, 46 guests [including 7 identified bots]).
Forum time: 14:02 CEST (Europe/Vienna)

You can’t fix by analysis
what you bungled by design.    Richard J. Light, Judith D. Singer, John B. Willett

The Bioequivalence and Bioavailability Forum is hosted by
BEBAC Ing. Helmut Schütz
HTML5