Nonbinding futility rule [Two-Stage / GS Designs]

posted by Ben – 2018-06-15 19:58 (2135 d 14:50 ago) – Posting: # 18908
Views: 15,123

Dear Detlew,

❝ My first thought was: Set fCpower = 1, that results in do not use the power futility criterion. This gives n2=16 for mittyri's example

interim.tsd.in(GMR1=0.89, CV1=0.2575165, n1=38, fCpower=1).

❝ Your suggestion

interim.tsd.in(GMR1=0.89, CV1=0.2575165, n1=38, ssr.conditional = "error")

❝ gives also n2=16. Astonishing or correct?

This is correct. Please note that if fCpower = 1, then (as intended) the futility criterion regarding power of stage 1 never applies. If you then encounter a scenario where power of stage 1 is greater than targetpower (this must not happen, but it can happen), then the conditional estimated target power will be negative. Thus, we would have a problem with this being the target power for sample size calculation. To avoid this from happening the function automatically sets the target power for recalculation to targetpower (which is equivalent to ssr.conditional = "error"). See 'Details' in the man page.

❝ Avoiding the conditional sample size re-estimation, i.e. using the conventional sample size re-estimation via

interim.tsd.in(GMR1=0.89, CV1=0.2575165, n1=38, ssr.conditional = "no")

❝ gives n2=4. Ooops? Wow!

I have to think about that :confused:

❝ IIRC the term "nonbinding" in the context of sequential designs is used for flexibility in stopping or continuing due to external reasons. Do we have such here?

For example?

❝ Binding, nonbinding - does it have an impact on the alpha control? I think not, but are not totally sure.

Non-binding: Type 1 error is protected, even if the futility criterion is ignored.
Binding: Type 1 error is protected only if the futility criterion will be adhered to. ('Binding' is not common practice, authorities don't want this).

Best regards,
Ben.

Complete thread:

UA Flag
Activity
 Admin contact
22,988 posts in 4,825 threads, 1,658 registered users;
107 visitors (0 registered, 107 guests [including 4 identified bots]).
Forum time: 10:49 CEST (Europe/Vienna)

The whole purpose of education is
to turn mirrors into windows.    Sydney J. Harris

The Bioequivalence and Bioavailability Forum is hosted by
BEBAC Ing. Helmut Schütz
HTML5