WinNonlin <--> Kinetica... / Survey [Software]

posted by Helmut Homepage – Vienna, Austria, 2008-05-29 22:03 (5800 d 12:46 ago) – Posting: # 1885
Views: 9,191

Dear DLabes!

❝ IMHO it must be a feature. For what ever. ;-)

[image]Of course it’s a feature, bugs don’t exist for software vendors…

❝ But I'm a little bit confused about the correct? entry. According to the definition (underlined by me)

❝ ❝ … Tlag is the time prior to the first measur­able (non-zero) concentration …

❝ I would guess 1.0<Tlag<1.5 .

Yes, sure! Now a couple of points.
WinNonlin comes up with 1.5, which is nice – and the value pragmatically most people would also give in NCA, but contrary to the definition given in the manual (last value prior […], which is 1).
OK, I cheated; my data are artificial ones using a one-compartment model with a lag-time of 1 hour:

\(C(t)=25.5\cdot(\textrm{e}^{-0.08\cdot(t-1)}-\textrm{e}^{-1.2\cdot(t-1)})\)

Kinetica v4.1.1 gives no definition of tlag in the manual at all, but comes up with 1.

Little is published about NCA of tlag, except in Cawello (2003), where an interval (like “between 1.0 and 1.5”) is suggested.* In the Glossary (p. 151) of the same reference another definition is given:

Lag-time: refers to the time period between administration of a drug and the occurrence of the first measurable concentration of the active component in the blood stream.
(my emphases)

Unfortunately the interval definition is scientifically valid but unsuitable for common statistical comparisons (yes, I know, fuzzy logic would help…). Tlag may sound exotic, but it can be an important parameter (e.g., for gastric resistant formulations or drugs with presystemic metabolism).

Long ago I played around with linear back extrapolation and solving for C=0, but unsuccessfully. In our example we would end up with lag-times of 0.53 (linear, 2 points) or 0.89 (quadratic, 3 points), which are contradictory to <LLOQs ‘reported’ at 0.75 and/or 1.
I also worked a little bit on splines, but this went well with some subjects and terrible with others… All back-extrapolation methods I tried were very sensitive to ‘noise’. Such a behavior is in agreement with compartmental methods, where fitting of the absorption process is often quite demanding.

So my question to the all of the forum’s members:
  What method are you using?
  [X] time point of first concentration > LLOQ
  [ ] time point prior to first concentration > LLOQ
  [ ] mean of these two time points
  [ ] a verbatim statement (like: between x and y hours)
  [ ] some kind of back-extrapolation (which one?)
  [ ] I’m using software (which one?) giving me a correct answer (which one?)

Dif-tor heh smusma 🖖🏼 Довге життя Україна! [image]
Helmut Schütz
[image]

The quality of responses received is directly proportional to the quality of the question asked. 🚮
Science Quotes

Complete thread:

UA Flag
Activity
 Admin contact
22,984 posts in 4,822 threads, 1,651 registered users;
48 visitors (0 registered, 48 guests [including 4 identified bots]).
Forum time: 10:50 CEST (Europe/Vienna)

You can’t fix by analysis
what you bungled by design.    Richard J. Light, Judith D. Singer, John B. Willett

The Bioequivalence and Bioavailability Forum is hosted by
BEBAC Ing. Helmut Schütz
HTML5