logical "and" in Google search [Tips / Tricks]

posted by Helmut Homepage – Vienna, Austria, 2018-05-28 18:48 (2130 d 20:44 ago) – Posting: # 18822
Views: 6,127

Dear all,

when Google+ was introduced in 2011 the + operator (for logical "and") was removed from the search engine. It was standard since the early days of search-engines (hey, AltaVista). Did you every try to search for sites/documents which contain both the phrase “relative bioavailability” and the keyword “bioequivalence”? Good luck! With

"relative bioavailability" "bioequivalence"

I got 43,200 results. Sure because implicitly | (for logical "or") is used. But this is not what I want!
Discovered hidden goodies. The "and" operator is still there and works as desired. You have to use the URL-escaped version of +, which is %2B. This one

"relative bioavailability" %2B"bioequivalence"

gives only 243 results.
Now I want only results which contain “relative bioavailability” but not “bioequivalence”. In the old days one would have used the - operator (for logical "not"). Gone with the wind. However, the encoded version %2D should work (according to the documentation of Google’s API).

"relative bioavailability" %2D"bioequivalence"

Two results. Rrrreally?

Dif-tor heh smusma 🖖🏼 Довге життя Україна! [image]
Helmut Schütz
[image]

The quality of responses received is directly proportional to the quality of the question asked. 🚮
Science Quotes

Complete thread:

UA Flag
Activity
 Admin contact
22,957 posts in 4,819 threads, 1,639 registered users;
91 visitors (0 registered, 91 guests [including 7 identified bots]).
Forum time: 14:32 CET (Europe/Vienna)

Nothing shows a lack of mathematical education more
than an overly precise calculation.    Carl Friedrich Gauß

The Bioequivalence and Bioavailability Forum is hosted by
BEBAC Ing. Helmut Schütz
HTML5