LSMeans [General Sta­tis­tics]

posted by ElMaestro  – Denmark, 2018-02-27 10:02 (2221 d 14:08 ago) – Posting: # 18469
Views: 5,697

Sorry about this,

I am a bit backward.

Once again I would like to raise the wonderful topic of LSMeans.
They are a SAS invention and I am still not sure I have truly understood what the hell they really are. Or more correctly, I am very sure I have no clue whatsoever about them.
Now, before someone throws a handful of web pages at me, I want to assure you, I have read them already. I am posting this because I still don't get it after all that reading e.g. here, here , and here.

The recent question about baseline adjustment and covariates in this forum made me try to understand LSMeans again. So I have been sleepless since then, of course. Shouldn't have done it. But that's hindsight.

For example: "When covariates are present in the model, the LSMEANS statement produces means which are adjusted for the average value of the specified covariate(s)."
I have no friggin clue what that really means.

Can someone, without using package lsmeans in R or automated tools, explain in slowmotion me what LSMeans really are and how exactly you would go about deriving LSMeans from scratch in a concrete dataset given a model? Feel free to use the code in the thread mentioned above as a starting point, this would ease my understanding.

Muchas gracias.

Edit: Category changed; see also this post #1. [Helmut]

Pass or fail!
ElMaestro

Complete thread:

UA Flag
Activity
 Admin contact
22,957 posts in 4,819 threads, 1,636 registered users;
83 visitors (0 registered, 83 guests [including 9 identified bots]).
Forum time: 00:11 CET (Europe/Vienna)

Nothing shows a lack of mathematical education more
than an overly precise calculation.    Carl Friedrich Gauß

The Bioequivalence and Bioavailability Forum is hosted by
BEBAC Ing. Helmut Schütz
HTML5