LSMeans [General Sta­tis­tics]

posted by ElMaestro  – Denmark, 2018-02-27 10:02 (2242 d 20:30 ago) – Posting: # 18469
Views: 5,783

Sorry about this,

I am a bit backward.

Once again I would like to raise the wonderful topic of LSMeans.
They are a SAS invention and I am still not sure I have truly understood what the hell they really are. Or more correctly, I am very sure I have no clue whatsoever about them.
Now, before someone throws a handful of web pages at me, I want to assure you, I have read them already. I am posting this because I still don't get it after all that reading e.g. here, here , and here.

The recent question about baseline adjustment and covariates in this forum made me try to understand LSMeans again. So I have been sleepless since then, of course. Shouldn't have done it. But that's hindsight.

For example: "When covariates are present in the model, the LSMEANS statement produces means which are adjusted for the average value of the specified covariate(s)."
I have no friggin clue what that really means.

Can someone, without using package lsmeans in R or automated tools, explain in slowmotion me what LSMeans really are and how exactly you would go about deriving LSMeans from scratch in a concrete dataset given a model? Feel free to use the code in the thread mentioned above as a starting point, this would ease my understanding.

Muchas gracias.

Edit: Category changed; see also this post #1. [Helmut]

Pass or fail!
ElMaestro

Complete thread:

UA Flag
Activity
 Admin contact
22,987 posts in 4,824 threads, 1,664 registered users;
87 visitors (0 registered, 87 guests [including 7 identified bots]).
Forum time: 07:33 CEST (Europe/Vienna)

The only way to comprehend what mathematicians mean by Infinity
is to contemplate the extent of human stupidity.    Voltaire

The Bioequivalence and Bioavailability Forum is hosted by
BEBAC Ing. Helmut Schütz
HTML5