Common sense [🇷 for BE/BA]

posted by Helmut Homepage – Vienna, Austria, 2018-01-28 01:27 (2273 d 07:23 ago) – Posting: # 18298
Views: 13,337

Hi ElMaestro,

excellent post, especially re. burgers and toilet paper (another [image] odd couple)! :rotfl:

When it comes to pooling of CVs you are absolutely right – and got it terribly wrong.

Do you remember what you wrote a while ago? In an earlier post I wrote:

❝ Doing the math is just the first step. Before you pool CVs I would suggest to inspect whether the confidence intervals of the CVs overlap […]. If not, try to find out why (different CROs, populations, bioanalytical methods, …). Use common sense to decide which CVs are reliable enough to pool.

That’s what statistics is all about – numbers. But never forget the data generating process. Are results obtained by a method of a reputable CRO whose head wrote dozens of papers about trace-MS better than colorimetry done in a back yard lab in Timbuktu? Etc. etc.

I suppose it is tempting, if the only tool you have is a hammer,
to treat everything as if it were a nail.
     Abraham Maslow (The Psychology of Science, 1966)

See also this one. Again: Statistics is just one tool, common sense is another. Use both.

Dif-tor heh smusma 🖖🏼 Довге життя Україна! [image]
Helmut Schütz
[image]

The quality of responses received is directly proportional to the quality of the question asked. 🚮
Science Quotes

Complete thread:

UA Flag
Activity
 Admin contact
22,987 posts in 4,824 threads, 1,663 registered users;
92 visitors (0 registered, 92 guests [including 6 identified bots]).
Forum time: 09:50 CEST (Europe/Vienna)

The only way to comprehend what mathematicians mean by Infinity
is to contemplate the extent of human stupidity.    Voltaire

The Bioequivalence and Bioavailability Forum is hosted by
BEBAC Ing. Helmut Schütz
HTML5