Common sense [🇷 for BE/BA]

posted by Helmut Homepage – Vienna, Austria, 2018-01-28 01:27 (2272 d 23:19 ago) – Posting: # 18298
Views: 13,332

Hi ElMaestro,

excellent post, especially re. burgers and toilet paper (another [image] odd couple)! :rotfl:

When it comes to pooling of CVs you are absolutely right – and got it terribly wrong.

Do you remember what you wrote a while ago? In an earlier post I wrote:

❝ Doing the math is just the first step. Before you pool CVs I would suggest to inspect whether the confidence intervals of the CVs overlap […]. If not, try to find out why (different CROs, populations, bioanalytical methods, …). Use common sense to decide which CVs are reliable enough to pool.

That’s what statistics is all about – numbers. But never forget the data generating process. Are results obtained by a method of a reputable CRO whose head wrote dozens of papers about trace-MS better than colorimetry done in a back yard lab in Timbuktu? Etc. etc.

I suppose it is tempting, if the only tool you have is a hammer,
to treat everything as if it were a nail.
     Abraham Maslow (The Psychology of Science, 1966)

See also this one. Again: Statistics is just one tool, common sense is another. Use both.

Dif-tor heh smusma 🖖🏼 Довге життя Україна! [image]
Helmut Schütz
[image]

The quality of responses received is directly proportional to the quality of the question asked. 🚮
Science Quotes

Complete thread:

UA Flag
Activity
 Admin contact
22,986 posts in 4,823 threads, 1,671 registered users;
77 visitors (0 registered, 77 guests [including 6 identified bots]).
Forum time: 01:46 CEST (Europe/Vienna)

Art is “I”; science is “we”.    Claude Bernard

The Bioequivalence and Bioavailability Forum is hosted by
BEBAC Ing. Helmut Schütz
HTML5