Disturbing wording [Dissolution / BCS / IVIVC]

posted by ElMaestro  – Denmark, 2017-12-25 19:28 (2307 d 04:26 ago) – Posting: # 18081
Views: 5,536

Hi all,

re. FDA's new biowaiver guidance Bioavailability and Bioequivalence Studies for Immediate-Release Solid Oral Dosage Forms Based on a Biopharmaceutics Classification System:

I do absolutely not like this sentence on page 8 re. the calculation of f2:
"Two dissolution profiles are considered similar when the f2 value is ≥ 50. To allow the use of mean data, the coefficient of variation should not be more than (...)"

If taken verbatim this means that an f2-based method is not acceptable when the CV is high, full stop. In that case I believe there's just the Mahalanobis distance left as a semi-bad proposal for a way forward.
I think and hope they meant something like "Two dissolution profiles are considered similar when the f2 value is ≥ 50. To allow the use of the plain f2 as a measure of similarity of dissolution profiles, the coefficient of variation should not be more than (...)"
- this would keep the door open for bootstrapping which was what was done internally at FDA for the now slightly famous Mesalamine case.

Goodbye to bootstrapping or just a little snafu when they wrote the draft?

Pass or fail!
ElMaestro

Complete thread:

UA Flag
Activity
 Admin contact
22,988 posts in 4,825 threads, 1,654 registered users;
89 visitors (0 registered, 89 guests [including 4 identified bots]).
Forum time: 00:54 CEST (Europe/Vienna)

The only way to comprehend what mathematicians mean by Infinity
is to contemplate the extent of human stupidity.    Voltaire

The Bioequivalence and Bioavailability Forum is hosted by
BEBAC Ing. Helmut Schütz
HTML5