Bingo! [Two-Stage / GS Designs]

posted by Helmut Homepage – Vienna, Austria, 2016-12-30 18:00  – Posting: # 16916
Views: 3,887

Hi ElMaestro,

now you got it!

» – the alpha2 that works for n2,min=2 or 0 or 1 or whatever is not necessarily the alpha2 that works for n2,min=1.5*n1, all other factors being equal.

Yes.

» It is tempting to say power increases with sample size, and since type I error is a kind of power, this is the logic behind the observation.

Yes.

» I think the issue is somewhat more complex than just that. These two-stage thingies are funny objects that defy all kinds of logic.

Maybe and yes.

» Does it change anything though??

For me, no.

» I mean you and I both argued in the past that universally functional alpha's do not exist, so whenever someone makes a smart/clever/sophisticated/dumb/intelligent/braindead amendment to Potvin B or C etc, then simulations should always be undertaken to make sure the type I error is not compromised.

Exactly. To quote Jones and Kenward.*

[…] before using any of the methods […], their operating characteristics should be evaluated for a range of values of n1, CV and true ratio of means that are of interest, in order to decide if the Type I error rate is controlled, the power is adequate and the potential maximum total sample size is not too great.

(my emphases)

Cheers,
Helmut Schütz
[image]

The quality of responses received is directly proportional to the quality of the question asked. 🚮
Science Quotes

Complete thread:

Activity
 Admin contact
20,128 posts in 4,245 threads, 1,384 registered users;
online 20 (0 registered, 20 guests [including 11 identified bots]).
Forum time (Europe/Vienna): 21:57 UTC

You really don’t know what you don’t know until you write about it.
Then, everyone knows what you don’t know.    Rod Machado

The Bioequivalence and Bioavailability Forum is hosted by
BEBAC Ing. Helmut Schütz
HTML5