Calculation of AUCt, AUCall, AUCinf... [NCA / SHAM]

posted by Helmut Homepage – Vienna, Austria, 2007-11-28 04:49 (5966 d 10:42 ago) – Posting: # 1339
Views: 25,225

Dear Yu!

❝ Thank you for your detailed explanation.

Welcome!

❝ Could you clarify "observed" and "predicted" concentration Clast? Doesn't "predicted" conc. mean extrapolated Clast(24 h) of test drug?

The last observed/measured concentrations are 0.82 at 24h (reference) and 3.22 at 16.92h (test). The 24h value of the test (0.78) is just below the LLOQ and is given in the table for demonstrational purposes only.
If we estimate kel from the last three values above the LLOQ for each formulation (linear regression of t vs. ln C), we obtain (interval of reference 11.90h – 24.00h, and test 8.37h – 16.92h):
┌───────────┬──────────┬──────────┐
│ parameter │    ref   │   test   │
├───────────┼──────────┼──────────┤
│ slope     │ -0.20027 │ -0.19992 │
│ intercept │  4.60838 │  4.55224 │
└───────────┴──────────┴──────────┘

Whereas kel = |slope|, and C0 = ℯintercept.
Therefore we can estimate the concentration (Cpred) at tlast by calculating
Cpred = (intercept+kel·tlast).

❝ I wonder why the AUC values of the test are same in method 4 and 5.

Because in my simple example there was no noise in the data; only due to rounding to two decimal places small differences are observed. The observed and predicted concentrations show a bias of 0.04% (reference) and 0.02% (test) only. This will not be the case with ‘real world’ data. Since we already have agreed in using a couple of data points (≥3) in the estimation of kel, it’s justified to use the estimated concentration – instead of the observed one – in extrapolating beyond tlast.

Edit: If you use WinNonlin, check "Output intermediate calculations" in the Model Options. You will get the Intercept in "NCA Text", but not in the result worksheet. :-( Example:
Intermediate Output
-------------------
  Value for Lambda_z:      0.2003, and intercept:     4.6084
  Value for Lambda_z:      0.1999, and intercept:     4.5522

Edit: Gabrielsson and Weiner (see here) give a formula without requiring the intercept:
C24 = Cobs · ℯ-lambdaz·(24-tobs) or C24 = 3.22 · ℯ-0.19992·(24-16.92) = 0.78…

Dif-tor heh smusma 🖖🏼 Довге життя Україна! [image]
Helmut Schütz
[image]

The quality of responses received is directly proportional to the quality of the question asked. 🚮
Science Quotes

Complete thread:

UA Flag
Activity
 Admin contact
22,957 posts in 4,819 threads, 1,636 registered users;
103 visitors (0 registered, 103 guests [including 5 identified bots]).
Forum time: 15:32 CET (Europe/Vienna)

With four parameters I can fit an elephant,
and with five I can make him wiggle his trunk.    John von Neumann

The Bioequivalence and Bioavailability Forum is hosted by
BEBAC Ing. Helmut Schütz
HTML5