Canada: subject, not period [Outliers]

posted by Helmut Homepage – Vienna, Austria, 2013-08-07 15:48 (3913 d 21:46 ago) – Posting: # 11232
Views: 10,400

Hi Mac,

welcome to the club! You are one of the <1% of members editing their profile. ;-)

❝ Let's say I have a study where two products are tested against a reference (3 period, incomplete block).

I don’t understand what you mean by incomplete block when you tested three treatments in three periods. Generally in an IBD: treatments > periods.

❝ Test 2 product for one of the subjects is an outlier for AUC and Cmax as per protocol (>3 studentized residuals away from the mean).

❝ The question is, should this subject be removed completely from the study or just the period in question?

Depends on what you have specified in the protocol. By removing one period you’ll end up with an incomplete data set which might be evaluated by a mixed effects model (SAS-speak: PROC MIXED). See also Senn’s quote in this post. Note that PROC GLM will always drop the entire subject even if you kept the other periods in the data set. Quite often CIs by PROC MIXED (incomplete data) are very close the the ones obtained by PROC GLM (imbalanced data). For an example see this post.

❝ From a statistical point of view, only one of the test products/periods was an outlier, however, I'm of the view that given that since we don't know what caused the "unusual" profile in the Test 2 profile, perhaps it's better to remove the subject altogether.

Likely. The Canadian guidance talks only about removal of outlying subjects, not observations.

Dif-tor heh smusma 🖖🏼 Довге життя Україна! [image]
Helmut Schütz
[image]

The quality of responses received is directly proportional to the quality of the question asked. 🚮
Science Quotes

Complete thread:

UA Flag
Activity
 Admin contact
22,993 posts in 4,828 threads, 1,655 registered users;
102 visitors (0 registered, 102 guests [including 4 identified bots]).
Forum time: 13:35 CEST (Europe/Vienna)

Never never never never use Excel.
Not even for calculation of arithmetic means.    Martin Wolfsegger

The Bioequivalence and Bioavailability Forum is hosted by
BEBAC Ing. Helmut Schütz
HTML5