Heteroscedasticity [Software]

posted by Helmut Homepage – Vienna, Austria, 2013-07-27 20:30 (3897 d 07:32 ago) – Posting: # 11076
Views: 16,098

Dear Detlew,

❝ I'm not a friend of this crippled approach :no:.

Me not either. On the other hand, remember your own simulations?

❝ On the other hand the full analysis is crucially depending on the assumption of a common error variance for the three treatments. What happens and what are the implications if this assumption is violated is not really clear to me.

❝ Is the case of heteroscedastic variances in BE studies an issue? Don't ask me :smoke:. See a quote of Steven Senn here.

Stephen and Andy were taking about study planning and IMHO, they erred. We all know that f.i. generic formulations of PPIs show lower CVs since many references are lousy pro­ducts (mainly problems with occasionally failing gastro­resistant coating). Should we not perform such studies because we expect hetero­scedasticity? Doesn’t make sense to me. Although the author of famous PowerTOST is not entirely happy with the underlying maths, the outcome (assuming different CVWs in replicate designs) matches common sense: A reward in terms of power / sample size if CVWT < CVWR and a penalty if CVWT > CVWR.

Another story are parallel designs (:waving: ElMaestro). Here we deal with the pooled total variance, which will be influenced by different formulation CVs as well, but to a much lesser extent than in Xovers. Differences between groups end up straight in the treatment com­parison. Therefore, it is of paramount importance to standardize studies in a parallel design. Though matched pairs are sometimes used in phase III I don’t know whether such an approach was ever seriously* tried in BE. It would need some a priori knowledge of influential covariates on PK. BMI, body-weight and/or -fat, sex, and renal clearance should perform better than eye’s color. [image]

Dif-tor heh smusma 🖖🏼 Довге життя Україна! [image]
Helmut Schütz
[image]

The quality of responses received is directly proportional to the quality of the question asked. 🚮
Science Quotes

Complete thread:

UA Flag
Activity
 Admin contact
22,957 posts in 4,819 threads, 1,636 registered users;
73 visitors (0 registered, 73 guests [including 6 identified bots]).
Forum time: 03:02 CET (Europe/Vienna)

With four parameters I can fit an elephant,
and with five I can make him wiggle his trunk.    John von Neumann

The Bioequivalence and Bioavailability Forum is hosted by
BEBAC Ing. Helmut Schütz
HTML5