☆    

Hyderabad,
2007-02-14 14:46
(6252 d 00:54 ago)

Posting: # 520
Views: 5,650

regarding anticoagulants [Bioanalytics]

Dear all

Can any one let me know the different cases where K3EDTA and K2EDTA is used.
does there lie any specificity in selection of this anticoagulants. Please let me know the basis on which an anticoagulant is selected.

dd
Helmut
★★★
Homepage
Vienna, Austria,
2007-02-20 13:23
(6246 d 02:18 ago)

@ devender_naik
Posting: # 527
Views: 4,960

regarding anticoagulants

Dear Devender!

❝ Can any one let me know the different cases where K3EDTA and K2EDTA is used.

Have a look at Becton & Dickinson's tube guide; go for the lavender stoppers...
In my experience the most commonly used ones are K3EDTA glass tubes.

But, to quote BD:
K2EDTA is the "anticoagulant of choice in specimen collection and blood cell counting" according to both NCCLS and the International Council for standardization in Haematology (ICSH). It was chosen for the following reasons:
1) K3EDTA results in greater RBC shrinkage;
2) K3EDTA produces a larger increase in cell volume on standing; and
3) K3EDTA is a liquid additive and will result in the dilution of the specimen.
Results of directly measured values can be 1-2% lower than results with K2EDTA. K2EDTA is sprayed onto the interior of the plastic tube and like K3EDTA requires 8-10 inversions for thorough mixing of blood with the anticoagulant.

❝ does there lie any specificity in selection of this anticoagulants. Please let me know the basis on which an anticoagulant is selected.

Essentially the analytical method dictates the anticoagulant (any method is only validated for 1 type of anticoagulant and calls for revalidation if changed).
We once came across a case where the clinical site - unnoticed - changed from serum to EDTA-plasma. The analytical method employed online SPE (column-switching). Everything looked fine, but: at that time duplicate determinations of 15% of samples were needed (according to Canadian guidelines). The method showed still nice plasma profiles, but the CV% of the duplicate determinatations doubled (EDTA-plasma compared to serum)...

Dif-tor heh smusma 🖖🏼 Довге життя Україна! [image]
Helmut Schütz
[image]

The quality of responses received is directly proportional to the quality of the question asked. 🚮
Science Quotes
UA Flag
Activity
 Admin contact
22,957 posts in 4,819 threads, 1,638 registered users;
65 visitors (0 registered, 65 guests [including 5 identified bots]).
Forum time: 15:41 CET (Europe/Vienna)

Nothing shows a lack of mathematical education more
than an overly precise calculation.    Carl Friedrich Gauß

The Bioequivalence and Bioavailability Forum is hosted by
BEBAC Ing. Helmut Schütz
HTML5