☆    

Mumbai,
2006-12-30 06:36
(6320 d 15:38 ago)

Posting: # 425
Views: 8,851

Sample size estimation for BA/BE Study [Power / Sample Size]

Dear All

Can anybody suggest me the right formula/method to be used for sample size estimation in BA/BE study.
what I understand that the Boltan suggest sample size estiamtion based on mean and SD.
Some Statistician suggest to use the formula based on intrasubject CV only. However it is diffucult many time to get the intrasubjects CV unless u have pilot study data. In such case the sample size estimation using mean and SD will be questinable!!!.

please comment.

regards
Dr.Imran Khan
Sitec, India

Dr.Imran Khan
Helmut
★★★
Homepage
Vienna, Austria,
2006-12-31 19:38
(6319 d 02:37 ago)

@ Imran
Posting: # 427
Views: 7,293

Sample size estimation for BA/BE Study

Dear Imran!

❝ Can anybody suggest me the right formula/method to be used for sample size estimation in BA/BE study.

❝ what I understand that the Boltan suggest sample size estiamtion based on mean and SD.

Are you talking about “Pharmaceutical Statistics” by Bolton and Bon?
Have a look at their table 6.5 (p 169 of the 4th Ed., 2004), which uses the intrasubject CV, the expected point estimate (µt/µR), and the desired power. The original table* served many thousands (!) of BE studies in the last 15 years.
The exact formula is a little bit tricky (see this post), but there are also approximations available (for references see this post).

❝ Some Statistician suggest to use the formula based on intrasubject CV only.

At least for a cross-over study you definitely need the intrasubjct CV (whereas for a parallel study the total variability would suffice).

❝ However it is diffucult many time to get the intrasubjects CV unless u have pilot study data.In such case the sample size estimation using mean and SD will be questinable!!!.

You also may use data from the literature. If the CV is not presented but the ANOVA-table, you may calculate it (from log-transformed data) by$$CV_{intra}(\%)=100\sqrt{e^{MSE}-1}$$If only the Confidence Interval is given, you have to do a little maths (see this post and followings).

• Diletti E, Hauschke D, VW Steinijans VW. Sample size determination for bioequivalence assessment by means of confidence intervals. Int J Clin Pharm Ther Toxicol. 1991;29(1):1–8.

Dif-tor heh smusma 🖖🏼 Довге життя Україна! [image]
Helmut Schütz
[image]

The quality of responses received is directly proportional to the quality of the question asked. 🚮
Science Quotes
Imran
☆    

Mumbai,
2007-01-04 07:51
(6315 d 14:24 ago)

@ Helmut
Posting: # 430
Views: 7,214

Sample size estimation for BA/BE Study

Dear HS
Thanks for reply.

Yes I was talking about Boltan and Bon. Boltan gives a example to calculate sample size (page no. 157) where it estimate sample size using the mean and SD.

Many time it is difficult to get the CV unless and v have pilot study data, however mean and SD is easily available. When I have a CV diffinately I follow the tablet of boltan on page no 169.

so calcualtion of a sample size using this formula will be questionalbe!!!!

regards
Dr.Imran Khan
Sitec, India

Dr.Imran Khan
Helmut
★★★
Homepage
Vienna, Austria,
2007-01-04 12:17
(6315 d 09:57 ago)

@ Imran
Posting: # 432
Views: 7,228

Sample size estimation (Bolton/Bon)

Dear Imran!

❝ Boltan gives a example to calculate sample size (page no. 157) where it estimate sample size using the mean and SD.

Be careful! To quote Bolton/Bon:

“Estimates of the standard deviations of the ratios of the values of each of the parameters […] were determined from a small pilot study.”

If you don’t have the study’s data available, where to you get the SD of the individual ratios from?

I used subjects 1-6 of my example data to get:
SD of T/R-ratios: 0.19923581
applying Eq.(6.6) with a maximum deviation (Delta) to detect of 0.2 one gets N=9.71
which is in agreement with the common method based on CV%-intra, where N=10 is estimated for a point estimate of 0.95 (Delta 0.05).
With a PE of 0.90 N is estimated with 18…

Using subjects 7-12 (6.6) gets N=23.9, again in agreement with the CV%-intra method, which gets N=24.

❝ so calcualtion of a sample size using this formula will be questionalbe!!!!

Hmm, I agree, but since you need to have access to raw data for Bolton/Bon’s formula also, why not using one of the ‘traditional’ sample size estimations based on the intra-subject CV anyway?
It looks like that (6.6) gives the ‘correct’ sample size for a PE of 0.95; but other Deltas should be possible according to the Guidelines…

Dif-tor heh smusma 🖖🏼 Довге життя Україна! [image]
Helmut Schütz
[image]

The quality of responses received is directly proportional to the quality of the question asked. 🚮
Science Quotes
UA Flag
Activity
 Admin contact
22,988 posts in 4,825 threads, 1,657 registered users;
106 visitors (0 registered, 106 guests [including 5 identified bots]).
Forum time: 23:15 CEST (Europe/Vienna)

The only way to comprehend what mathematicians mean by Infinity
is to contemplate the extent of human stupidity.    Voltaire

The Bioequivalence and Bioavailability Forum is hosted by
BEBAC Ing. Helmut Schütz
HTML5