g.sharma
☆    

2009-05-19 16:47
(5449 d 06:33 ago)

Posting: # 3704
Views: 5,758

BE waiver for tablet after reducing % of API [Dissolution / BCS / IVIVC]

Dear ALL
I am new to this forum and searched this forum as I want to get some information.
I am working on one generic tablet product in which API has been used 104% after seeing the stability data and from the previous information available. For 104% we have established bioequivalence with the innovator.
I do not know whether innovator/originator has 104% or 100%
Now If I make a formulation which having 100% API is it possible to avoid bioequivalence with the same excipients as the previous formulation or with he different excipients as the previous formulation.

Thanks in Advance
Gary

--
Edit: Category changed. [Helmut]
Helmut
★★★
Homepage
Vienna, Austria,
2009-05-19 17:25
(5449 d 05:55 ago)

@ g.sharma
Posting: # 3707
Views: 4,955

BE waiver for tablet after reducing % of API

Dear Gary,

remember that both the manufacturing process and the analytical method are subjected to some variability. If you have demonstrated BE to the innovator already in vivo, I don't get the point of reformulating. Can you give us a rationale?

Dif-tor heh smusma 🖖🏼 Довге життя Україна! [image]
Helmut Schütz
[image]

The quality of responses received is directly proportional to the quality of the question asked. 🚮
Science Quotes
g.sharma
☆    

2009-05-19 18:59
(5449 d 04:21 ago)

@ Helmut
Posting: # 3709
Views: 4,897

Dear Helmut
I want to reformulate as my company has submitted this to regulatory authorities and they have asked the reasons for overages.
Moreover my company wants to reformulate it without overage and with only 100%API.
I want to know if it is possible to avoid bioequivalence study of tablet if we reduce % of API and how much percentage of variability is allowed.
please tell if there is any european or ICH guideline to this issue.
Thanks in advance

Edit: Full quote removed. Please delete anything from the text of the original poster which is not necessary in understanding your answer; see also this post! [Helmut]
Helmut
★★★
Homepage
Vienna, Austria,
2009-05-19 21:29
(5449 d 01:51 ago)

@ g.sharma
Posting: # 3711
Views: 4,936

Dear Gary!

❝ I want to reformulate as my company has submitted this to regulatory authorities and they have asked the reasons for overages.

Do I get you right: the test used in the BE-study was intentionally formulated to a content 104%? If yes, this was a bad idea. If it was formulated to 100% and only the actual content (analysis of the final product) came out with 104%, nothing to worry about. Please clarify.

❝ Moreover my company wants to reformulate it without overage and with only 100%API.

Just out of couriosity: why was the product formulated to 104%?

❝ I want to know if it is possible to avoid bioequivalence study of tablet if we reduce % of API and how much percentage of variability is allowed.

What BCS Class is your drug in? Should be possible for Classes I & III, and tricky for Class II - impossible for Class IV.

❝ please tell if there is any european or ICH guideline to this issue.

Have a look at the relevant BE-Guidelines here (BA/BE 2001, Q&A document 2006, BE-draft 2008).
There are no ICH-guidelines on BE (and no intentions to come up with one).

Dif-tor heh smusma 🖖🏼 Довге життя Україна! [image]
Helmut Schütz
[image]

The quality of responses received is directly proportional to the quality of the question asked. 🚮
Science Quotes
g.sharma
☆    

2009-05-20 11:55
(5448 d 11:25 ago)

@ Helmut
Posting: # 3713
Views: 4,835

Dear Helmut

❝ Do I get you right: the test used in the BE-study was intentionally formulated to a content 104%? If yes, this was a bad idea. If it was formulated to 100% and only the actual content (analysis of the final product) came out with 104%, nothing to worry about.

You are right it was intentionally formulated with 104% because of stability reasons over shelf life. Now we want to reformulate it 100% by changing some excipients or without changing expicients. If we become successful in achieving stability over shelf life with 100%. Do we need to repeat the bioequivalence?

❝ What BCS Class is your drug in? Should be possible for Classes I & III, and tricky for Class II - impossible for Class IV.

It is practically insoluble in water but has high permeability which means it is BCS class II drug.

Thanks for telling about guideline and your time.

According to guideline of bioequivalence
Variations
If a product has been reformulated from the formulation initially approved or the manufacturing method has been modified by the manufacturer in the ways that could be considered to impact on the bioavailability, a bioequivalence study is required, unless otherwise justified. Any justification presented should be based upon general considerations, e.g. as per 5.1.1, or on whether an acceptable in vivo/in vitro correlation has been established.
In cases where the bioavailability of the product undergoing change has been investigated and an acceptable correlation between in vivo performance and in vitro dissolution has been established, the requirements for in vivo demonstration of bioequivalence can be waived if the dissolution rate in vitro of the new product is similar to that of the already approved medicinal product under the same test conditions as used to establish correlation

In all other cases bioequivalence studies have to be performed.
For variations of the innovator the reference product for use in bioequivalence and dissolution studies is usually that authorised under the current formula, manufacturing method, packaging etc. and the product manufactured in line with the proposed changes is tested against this.

when variations to an essentially similar product are made the reference product for the bioequivalence study should be the innovator product.

So now my query is that we have bioequivalence with 104% with innovator and if we prove the dissolution rate same as the 104%. Is it possible to waive BE.
As far as I know in vitro correlation can be established for BCS class II.
It means for this product also IVIVC has been established by the innovator and we already have test bioequivalent to the innovator. and then with same dissolution rate as the previous formulation, we can get waiver for BE studies.

please help or suggest, is it possible to avoid BE studies.

Gary

Edit: Original quotes restored; Section below the horizontal ruler inserted from a later post. @Gary: you may edit your original post for 24 hours - no need to start a new one. [Helmut]
UA Flag
Activity
 Admin contact
22,988 posts in 4,825 threads, 1,657 registered users;
88 visitors (0 registered, 88 guests [including 7 identified bots]).
Forum time: 23:21 CEST (Europe/Vienna)

The only way to comprehend what mathematicians mean by Infinity
is to contemplate the extent of human stupidity.    Voltaire

The Bioequivalence and Bioavailability Forum is hosted by
BEBAC Ing. Helmut Schütz
HTML5