2008-12-20 13:57
(5577 d 01:10 ago)

Posting: # 2958
Views: 22,839

variability [General Sta­tis­tics]

Hallo,

I need to understand better the differences between the terms:
– CV% derived from calculation of mean and standard deviation of PK parameters
– Intra and inter subject variability - derived from ANOVA analysis.

Those two formulas provided in Canadian bioequivalence guidance can be applied using KINETICA software?

And is right when I calculate number of subjects using data about intra – subject variability, isn't it?

Thank you.

Have a nice day,
Jo
sinhmar
☆    

India,
2008-12-23 08:04
(5574 d 07:03 ago)

@ ioanam
Posting: # 2961
Views: 21,108

variability

❝ I need to understand better the differences between the terms:

❝ – CV% derived from calculation of mean and standard deviation of PK parameters

❝ – Intra and inter subject variability - derived from ANOVA analysis.

CV (coefficient of variation) is a constant used to define variability, based on standard deviation, in data without considering any effect. It is a statistical measure of dispersion of data points in data series around mean.
In crossover bioequivalence studies, ANOVA table divides the total variability into variability due to different effects like subject, sequence, period and treatment and residual variability is an undefined variability accounted to within subject variability and other nuisance effects. The intra-subject variability (within subject variability) reflects the residual variability after accounting for differences between subjects, periods, sequence and formulations.
And inter subject variability is a between subject variability calculated by taking out the residual effect (inter subject) from subject (Sequence) effect, as it is clear from the following formula:
Inter-subject CV = 100 x (MSSubject (Seq) - MSResidual/2)0.5

❝ Those two formulas provided in Canadian bioequivalence guidance can be applied using KINETICA software?

i don't have any idea about Kinetica... but we can calculate intra/inter CV in SPSS and SAS

❝ And is right when I calculate number of subjects using data about intra – subject variability, isn't it?

yes, we need intra CV for calculating number of subjects but for that we need ratio(T/R) of means also :-)

Edit: Standard quotes restored. [Helmut]
Helmut
★★★
Homepage
Vienna, Austria,
2008-12-23 14:28
(5574 d 00:39 ago)

@ sinhmar
Posting: # 2962
Views: 20,918

variability

Dear Shinmar & Jo!

❝ CV (coefficient of variation) is a constant used to define variability, based on standard deviation, in data without considering any effect.

Not a constant, but an estimate. :-D
Therefore one should consider its uncertainty (dependent on the sample size) if applying the number in further study planning.

❝ [...] as it is clear from the following formula:

❝ Inter-subject CV = 100 x (MSSubject (Seq) - MSResidual/2)0.5

Nice, but your formula is valid only for untransformed data (additive model).
For formulas of the multiplicative model (log-transformed data) of most PK metrics see this post.

Dif-tor heh smusma 🖖🏼 Довге життя Україна! [image]
Helmut Schütz
[image]

The quality of responses received is directly proportional to the quality of the question asked. 🚮
Science Quotes
Mohamed Yehia
★    

Egypt,
2017-07-22 14:06
(2441 d 02:00 ago)

@ ioanam
Posting: # 17592
Views: 13,797

variability (SAS)

Dear All,

Can anyone tell me how to write the sas syntax to calculate the CV intra and inter subject variability for 2x2 crossover bioequivalence study??.

Many Thanks.

Edit: Subject line changed and full quote removed. Please delete everything from the text of the original poster which is not necessary in understanding your answer; see also this post #5! [Helmut]
UA Flag
Activity
 Admin contact
22,957 posts in 4,819 threads, 1,638 registered users;
80 visitors (0 registered, 80 guests [including 9 identified bots]).
Forum time: 15:07 CET (Europe/Vienna)

Nothing shows a lack of mathematical education more
than an overly precise calculation.    Carl Friedrich Gauß

The Bioequivalence and Bioavailability Forum is hosted by
BEBAC Ing. Helmut Schütz
HTML5