talr
☆    

Israel,
2008-10-14 19:18
(5670 d 21:30 ago)

Posting: # 2530
Views: 4,611

tablets versus solution in BE [Design Issues]

I am very new on this forum, working as R&D manager in israel drug manufacturer (www.cts.co.il)
And have a general question: is there any expirience in performing bioequivalence study of tablets versus solutions or sirups?
Besides of the technical issue is there a regulatory reference to this question.
I will be very gratefull to yuor answer,
Best regards,
Tali
Helmut
★★★
Homepage
Vienna, Austria,
2008-10-14 21:55
(5670 d 18:53 ago)

@ talr
Posting: # 2533
Views: 3,967

tablets versus solution in BE

Dear Tali!

❝ is there any expirience in performing bioequivalence study of tablets

❝ versus solutions or sirups?

Yes and no. Bioequivalence implies formulations which are pharmaceutical equivalents (IR tablet vs. IR tablet) or pharmaceutical alternatives (IR tablet vs. IR capsule). If there is no suitable reference marketed, you may want to assess the Relative Bioavailability: tablet vs. solution, or if no solution can be obtained, a suspension. For a definition of terms see the European Note for Guidance (Sections 2.3 and 2.4).

❝ Besides of the technical issue is there a regulatory reference to this

❝ question.

This depends on the rationale of the study. In product development of MR it's not uncommon to run in vivo studies with a solution as a reference in order to obtain the in vivo input function. If you want to go for an abbreviated market authorisation (=generic product), a solution will not do the job!

Dif-tor heh smusma 🖖🏼 Довге життя Україна! [image]
Helmut Schütz
[image]

The quality of responses received is directly proportional to the quality of the question asked. 🚮
Science Quotes
talr
☆    

Israel,
2008-10-14 23:23
(5670 d 17:24 ago)

@ Helmut
Posting: # 2534
Views: 3,860

tablets versus solution in BE

Thank you Dear Helmut for answer.
Indeed I read the section 2.3 and 2.4 cerfully and I think that you stated the dilema very clearly: just to clearify:
The product in development is a liquid dosage form for children or adults with swallowing difficulties, that is developed to be a substitute to the tablets of the same drug that are on the market,
And the goal is to define the product as generic - but from your input I have the impression that such a comperative study, even if it will give a nice coralation will not be accepted as the only in vivo study for the drug product

Can you explaim please the term "product development of MR"
Thanks very much
Helmut
★★★
Homepage
Vienna, Austria,
2008-10-15 15:41
(5670 d 01:07 ago)

@ talr
Posting: # 2535
Views: 3,834

solution vs IR in the EU

Dear Tali!

❝ The product in development is a liquid dosage form for children or adults

❝ with swallowing difficulties, that is developed to be a substitute to the

❝ tablets of the same drug that are on the market,

❝ And the goal is to define the product as generic - but from your input I

❝ have the impression that such a comperative study, even if it will give a

❝ nice coralation will not be accepted as the only in vivo study for the

❝ drug product

Unfortunatelly I have no experience with Israel's guidelines and can only refer to European practices. Your case is covered in Section '5.1.2 Oral solutions':

'In those cases where an oral solution has to be tested against an oral immediate release formulation a comparative bioavailability study will be required unless an exemption can be justified (see 5.1.1).'

Depending on the pharmacological profile of the drug Cmax may be an issue; I would recommend to go for a Scientific Advice with the competent authority.

❝ Can you explaim please the term "product development of MR"

MR stands for 'Modified Release'. It's quite common to perform biostudies of development batches against oral solutions in order to obtain some kind of in vivo in vivo correlation (IVIVC). Nothing you have to worry about in your case...

Helmut Schütz
[image]

The quality of responses received is directly proportional to the quality of the question asked. 🚮
Science Quotes
talr
☆    

Israel,
2008-10-15 22:30
(5669 d 18:18 ago)

@ Helmut
Posting: # 2538
Views: 3,709

solution vs IR in the EU

Dear Helmut.
Thanks again.
your answers are clarifying the fact that in the absence of "common" base for comparison between reference to developed product: clinical data will be required in order to assure the similarity.

As for

❝ Unfortunatelly I have no experience with Israel's guidelines and can only

❝ refer to European practices.

Israel's guidlines if complete adoption of EU directive,
nevertheless minor changes sometimes are adopted in a specific case

:-)
I presented today the forum and our subject of "solution vs IR in the EU" to my managment and everyone were highly impressed by the professional support in this forum.
Very well done! helmut and everyone here.
Best regards,
Tali
Helmut
★★★
Homepage
Vienna, Austria,
2008-10-16 00:14
(5669 d 16:33 ago)

@ talr
Posting: # 2539
Views: 3,975

Israeli Guideline

Dear Tali,

thanks for the :flower: !

❝ Israel's guidlines if complete adoption of EU directive,

❝ nevertheless minor changes sometimes are adopted in a specific case

Do you have a link which I can add to the Guidance page? The English site http://www.health.gov.il/english/ soon ends up in Hebrew; once a document is found it's not that difficult to handle (thanks to google translate), but navigating the site whithout knowing Ivrit is extremely difficult - that's why I probably missed the BE-guideline...

Helmut Schütz
[image]

Science Quotes
UA Flag
Activity
 Admin contact
22,993 posts in 4,828 threads, 1,658 registered users;
64 visitors (1 registered, 63 guests [including 7 identified bots]).
Forum time: 16:48 CEST (Europe/Vienna)

So far as I can remember,
there is not one word in the Gospels
in praise of intelligence.    Bertrand Russell

The Bioequivalence and Bioavailability Forum is hosted by
BEBAC Ing. Helmut Schütz
HTML5