yjlee168
★★★
Homepage
Kaohsiung, Taiwan,
2020-09-27 14:29
(1278 d 19:14 ago)

(edited by yjlee168 on 2020-09-27 15:16)
Posting: # 21941
Views: 2,363

no more required gWidgets.zip & gWidgetsRGtk2.zip to install bear for R v4.0.x [🇷 for BE/BA]

Dear all bear users,

To make it quick, please do not request for gWidgets.zip & gWidgetsRGtk2.zip from me any more (see this). I have already received tons of requests since these two packages (gWidgets & gWidgetsRGtk2) have been orphaned/removed/retired/depredicated from R repositories. I know some users were not trying to install bear. They only need to install gWidgets & gWidgetsRGtk2 to run other packages. Google master pointed this Forum to them. Therefore, users can download preinst.r from SourceForge and run it AS the system administrator (for Windows OS & Linux-PC). However (there is always a 'however' or 'but'), it is only for x64 platforms. Sorry for x86 machines (who is still using a x86 machine right now?).

Here is the long story. Since it was reported that gWidgets & gWidgetsRGtk2 has been removed from R repositories (see this, and this and this), the disaster began. I did a little stats. about what R packages was affetced/removed together with gWIdgets & gWidgetsRGtk2. One of packages, RQDA, was also included and users tried seek out the solution for it. I found that the only problem was that only gWidgetsRGtk2 cannot be built from its source tarball on my Windows 10 (x64) only.(three onlys in this sentence.) Both gWidgets & gWidgetsRGtk2 can be built on macOS and Linux-PC from their source. Even gWidgets can be built on Windows 10 (x64). The error messages [in English] of gWidgetsRGtk2 on Windows 10 were
... Error in inDL(x, as.logical(local), as.logical(now), ...) :
   unable to load shared object
'C:/.../library/RGtk2/libs/i386/RGtk2.dll':
   LoadLibrary failure:  The specified module could not be found.

That meant R tried to build both x86 and x64 packages at the same time as default, even though for x64 platforms/machine. Please note that the dynamic lib. for i386 (.../library/RGtk2/libs/i386/RGtk2.dll) was there. But R just cannot find it when building the package. Then I googled these error messages and found it has been reported since 2011 by a user. The original error messages reported by that user were:
... Error in inDL(x, as.logical(local), as.logical(now), ...) :
unable to load shared object
'R:/Apps/R/R-2.13.0/library/RGtk2/libs/i386/RGtk2.dll':
LoadLibrary failure:  Das angegebene Modul wurde nicht gefunden.

About this issue, Professor Ripley said:"...It is Microsoft's error message, not ours." Then I planed to email Mr. Gates. Before doing that, I found a nice post about installation of a R package (tidyselect) on stackoverflow that totally inspired me. Therefore, the solution is as follows:
this<-"https://cran.r-project.org/src/contrib/Archive/gWidgets/gWidgets_0.0-54.2.tar.gz"
install.packages(this,repos=NULL,INSTALL_opts="--no-multiarch")
and.this<- "https://cran.r-project.org/src/contrib/Archive/gWidgetsRGtk2/gWidgetsRGtk2_0.0-86.1.tar.gz"
install.packages(and.this,repos=NULL,INSTALL_opts="--no-multiarch")

And it finally works. The key option of --no-multiarch here is used to build x64 package only. All these have been included in preinst.r now. Sorry to keep you waiting for a long,long time. My sincere apology.
[to be continued...]

All the best,
-- Yung-jin Lee
bear v2.9.1:- created by Hsin-ya Lee & Yung-jin Lee
Kaohsiung, Taiwan https://www.pkpd168.com/bear
Download link (updated) -> here
yjlee168
★★★
Homepage
Kaohsiung, Taiwan,
2020-09-27 16:50
(1278 d 16:54 ago)

@ yjlee168
Posting: # 21942
Views: 1,959

how to get the binary of gWidgetsRGtk2, if it cannot be built under R v4.0.2?

Dear all,

As I mentioned previously that gWidgetsRGtk2 cannot be built with R v4.0.2 under Windows 10 (x64), how can I get its binary file (compiled file, gWidgetsRGtk2.zip)? I did not build it of course. I just went to ...\R\library\gWidgetsRGtk2 directory and then used 7-zip (free & nice zip tool) to zip all directory of gWidgetsRGtk2 as a gWidgetsRGtk2.zip. To test if it worked or not, I deleted all gWidgetsRGtk2 directory from ...\R\library first and do install.packages("gWidgetsRGtk2.zip",repos=NULL). It worked. So to zip all ...\R\library seems a very useful backup method, unless we need to rebuild all packages due to upgrade of R (from v3.x.x -> v4.0.x). To restore or unzip all libraries back to ...\R\library may require the system administrator's privilege under Windows OS.

All the best,
-- Yung-jin Lee
yjlee168
★★★
Homepage
Kaohsiung, Taiwan,
2020-10-12 04:10
(1264 d 05:33 ago)

@ yjlee168
Posting: # 21993
Views: 1,879

install bear for R v4.0.3

Dear all,

The installation script (preinst.r) still works nicely on R v4.0.3 (codename: "Bunny-Wunnies Freak Out"). During the installation, the error message is still there for Windows OS before installing GTK+ driver (after library(RGtk2)). The error messages are something likw:

Error in inDL(x, as.logical(local), as.logical(now), ...) :
  unable to load shared object 'C:/Program Files/R/R-4.0.3/library/RGtk2/libs/x64/RGtk2.dll':
  LoadLibrary failure:  找不到指定的模組 (<- traditional Chinese in my computer)。 Or
  LoadLibrary failure:  The specified module could not be found. (in English)

The messages following LoadLibrary failure: is displayed as the default language of your windows OS. Professor Ripley was absolutely correct about this. (...It is Microsoft's error message, not ours.). R won't display traditional Chinese error messages or Germany error messages at all. Please ignore this error message because the GTK+ driver still can be installed without any problem.

No problem with Linux or macOS so far.

Ps. Just a remind. Please do not request gWidgets.zip &/or gWidgetsRgtk2.zip from me again. Many thanks.

All the best,
-- Yung-jin Lee
UA Flag
Activity
 Admin contact
22,957 posts in 4,819 threads, 1,636 registered users;
105 visitors (0 registered, 105 guests [including 2 identified bots]).
Forum time: 08:44 CET (Europe/Vienna)

With four parameters I can fit an elephant,
and with five I can make him wiggle his trunk.    John von Neumann

The Bioequivalence and Bioavailability Forum is hosted by
BEBAC Ing. Helmut Schütz
HTML5