fno
☆    
Homepage
Belgium,
2020-01-22 16:38
(1527 d 07:35 ago)

Posting: # 21078
Views: 3,754

FDA: required BE between early phase and Phase 3 formulations? [Regulatives / Guidelines]

Dear All,

Sorry for the naive and quite basic question, but I did not succeed in finding a clear and definite answer in any of the FDA guidances :confused::

Is FDA requiring a formal BE demonstration for bridging the early phase with the Phase 3 formulations?
If so, what would be the required actions in case the Phase 3 formulation is not perfectly bioequivalent to the previously used formulation?

Many thanks in advance!

Kind regards,
Fabrice
Helmut
★★★
Homepage
Vienna, Austria,
2020-01-22 17:15
(1527 d 06:58 ago)

@ fno
Posting: # 21079
Views: 2,494

no BE between early phase and Phase 3 formulations

Hi Fabrice,

❝ Is FDA requiring a formal BE demonstration for bridging the early phase with the Phase 3 formulations?

❝ If so, what would be the required actions in case the Phase 3 formulation is not perfectly bioequivalent to the previously used formulation?

Without digging into guidelines: No. What we have in Phase I/II is sometimes not what I would call a ‘formulation’ in the biopharmaceutical sense at all. Anything goes: Manually filled capsules, lab-scale tablet-presses, etc. Doesn’t matter because we are interested in PK (I) and safety (II). Once you move to phase III you are bound to cGMP (though still in pilot-scale). Only when you move from III to the to be marketed formulation, the applicable SUPAC guidance (IR, MR, SS) cut in and very likely you need a BE study.

Dif-tor heh smusma 🖖🏼 Довге життя Україна! [image]
Helmut Schütz
[image]

The quality of responses received is directly proportional to the quality of the question asked. 🚮
Science Quotes
fno
☆    
Homepage
Belgium,
2020-01-22 18:11
(1527 d 06:02 ago)

@ Helmut
Posting: # 21080
Views: 2,597

no BE between early phase and Phase 3 formulations

Thanks Helmut for your feed-back!

❝ Without digging into guidelines: No. What we have in Phase I/II is sometimes not what I would call a ‘formulation’ in the biopharmaceutical sense at all. Anything goes: Manually filled capsules, lab-scale tablet-presses, etc.

Indeed.

❝ Doesn’t matter because we are interested in PK (I) and safety (II).

OK but then how to justify in the dossier the extrapolation of some early phase outcomes, e.g. a food effect or an efficacy and/or safety exposure signal... should these key findings be evaluated/demonstrated again with the final formulation?

❝ Once you move to phase III you are bound to cGMP (though still in pilot-scale). Only when you move from III to the to be marketed formulation, the applicable SUPAC guidance (IR, MR, SS) cut in and very likely you need a BE study.

Yep.

Thank you!

Kind regards,
Fabrice
Helmut
★★★
Homepage
Vienna, Austria,
2020-01-23 12:59
(1526 d 11:14 ago)

@ fno
Posting: # 21082
Views: 2,553

relax

Hi Fabrice,

❝ ❝ Doesn’t matter because we are interested in PK (I) and safety (II).

❝ OK but then how to justify in the dossier the extrapolation of some early phase outcomes, e.g. a food effect or an efficacy and/or safety exposure signal... should these key findings be evaluated/demonstrated again with the final formulation?

An example: The NDA of idelalisib. A lot of Phase I/II studies (women/men, Japanese/Caucasian, food effect, DDIs, renal/hepatic impairment) were performed in 6 (six!) to 12 subjects with early formulations.
There was also a study comparing formulations (n = 15, extremely underpowered for the x̃ CV of 29% in earlier studies). Some comparisons failed (e.g., 90% CI of Cmax 106–153%). Funny:

2.5.2.2 What are the safety or efficacy issues, if any, for BE studies that fail to meet the 90% CI using equivalence limits of 80–125%?
None. The exposure for the different drug products is similar.

Quoting nobody: It’s originator, stupid!

Since idelalisib is in BCS II (where dissolution cannot predict in vivo performance), the FDA lamented about later manufacturing changes but accepted the package at the end of the day.

Dif-tor heh smusma 🖖🏼 Довге життя Україна! [image]
Helmut Schütz
[image]

The quality of responses received is directly proportional to the quality of the question asked. 🚮
Science Quotes
fno
☆    
Homepage
Belgium,
2020-01-23 15:48
(1526 d 08:25 ago)

(edited by fno on 2020-01-23 16:16)
@ Helmut
Posting: # 21084
Views: 2,432

Thanks!

:ok:

Kind regards,
Fabrice
Achievwin
★    

US,
2020-01-27 21:06
(1522 d 03:07 ago)

@ fno
Posting: # 21087
Views: 2,259

FDA: required BE between early phase and Phase 3 formulations?

Typically it is not needed, because your approval is based on Two identical Phase III studies, all early development studies (such as FIH, ADME, DDI Dose escalation etc.) are conducted on a preliminary dosage form which leads to refinement of the dosage form at the end of Phase 2 program typically companies present the data to regulatory agencies and formalize the dosage form and Phase 3 study design. Work done for Phase 3 programs forms pivotal/basis for NDA approval. Sponsor routinely performs a relative BA study (not a must) between the Phase 2 dosage form and phase III IMP do document only minor changes in formulation exist as a process optimization and these changes have no consequence on the bioavailability. IMHO it is a risk mitigation step for the NDA.

Hope other members agree with my reasoning.

Best

Achievwin
UA Flag
Activity
 Admin contact
22,957 posts in 4,819 threads, 1,636 registered users;
75 visitors (0 registered, 75 guests [including 8 identified bots]).
Forum time: 00:13 CET (Europe/Vienna)

Nothing shows a lack of mathematical education more
than an overly precise calculation.    Carl Friedrich Gauß

The Bioequivalence and Bioavailability Forum is hosted by
BEBAC Ing. Helmut Schütz
HTML5