☆    

India,
2019-09-11 16:04
(1659 d 19:59 ago)

Posting: # 20584
Views: 3,170

Evaluation of Heparin as a potentially interfering substance [Bioanalytics]

Hi everyone,

Is it required to evaluate the interaction of "heparin" with your analyte of interest during concomitant medication effect as a part of bio-analytical method validation parameter?
since heparin is infused during blood collection to prevent formation of blood clots in clinical phase.

Note: The anticoagulant used for the blood collection in vacutainer is K2EDTA.

Thanks

Edit: Category changed; see also this post #1[Helmut]
ElMaestro
★★★

Denmark,
2019-09-11 20:06
(1659 d 15:57 ago)

@ Monic
Posting: # 20585
Views: 2,623

Evaluation of Heparin as a potentially interfering substance

Hi Monic,

this is actually a pretty good question, in my opinion. I don't have a good answer, unfortunately. I can only offer to ramble a bit.

You give a tiny amount of Hep in the catheter with the intent to keep it exactly there. No Hep is intended to be injected/infused into the blood stream. Yet, there will of course be some diffusion.
Although the level of circulatory Hep will be low, who knows if they could interfere?

I have seen on several occasions how catheters may get clogged. In those cases the phlebotomist may do multiple push/pulls with Hep solution to clear the passage (and the subject will flinch in pain, but that is another story).
In those cases, surely you will get much more Hep into the blood stream. Will you get enough to interfere? My gut feeling says "no", but who am I to actually qualify that? May even be depending on the type of Hep, who knows?!?
There is other stuff in the Hep solution, most often Glucose but sometimes there is a gelling agent, because this solution has to be much like a marmelade to serve its purpose. So what about that gelling agent?

Technicality: Hep is not infused during sampling. It is only instilled in the catheter. This, I assume, is also what you meant.

Pass or fail!
ElMaestro
nobody
nothing

2019-09-11 21:32
(1659 d 14:32 ago)

@ ElMaestro
Posting: # 20586
Views: 2,576

Heparin is a polyanion, so: Calculate the amount instilled, the volume of fresh blood used to "flush" this amount to the blood collecting device, the resulting concentration in the blood/plasma sample. Use common sense to asses these numbers.

If in doubt (due to physico-chemical properties of analyte), do some in vitro studies with fresh blood/heparin.

Kindest regards, nobody
ElMaestro
★★★

Denmark,
2019-09-11 23:25
(1659 d 12:38 ago)

@ nobody
Posting: # 20588
Views: 2,602

Hi all,

❝ If in doubt (....)

If in doubt use Heparin in the validation and in the study vacutainers. Problem solved.

Pass or fail!
ElMaestro
UA Flag
Activity
 Admin contact
22,957 posts in 4,819 threads, 1,639 registered users;
78 visitors (0 registered, 78 guests [including 7 identified bots]).
Forum time: 11:04 CET (Europe/Vienna)

Nothing shows a lack of mathematical education more
than an overly precise calculation.    Carl Friedrich Gauß

The Bioequivalence and Bioavailability Forum is hosted by
BEBAC Ing. Helmut Schütz
HTML5