Homepage
Vienna, Austria,
2018-05-28 18:48
(2130 d 17:27 ago)

Posting: # 18822
Views: 6,126

logical "and" in Google search [Tips / Tricks]

Dear all,

when Google+ was introduced in 2011 the + operator (for logical "and") was removed from the search engine. It was standard since the early days of search-engines (hey, AltaVista). Did you every try to search for sites/documents which contain both the phrase “relative bioavailability” and the keyword “bioequivalence”? Good luck! With

"relative bioavailability" "bioequivalence"

I got 43,200 results. Sure because implicitly | (for logical "or") is used. But this is not what I want!
Discovered hidden goodies. The "and" operator is still there and works as desired. You have to use the URL-escaped version of +, which is %2B. This one

"relative bioavailability" %2B"bioequivalence"

gives only 243 results.
Now I want only results which contain “relative bioavailability” but not “bioequivalence”. In the old days one would have used the - operator (for logical "not"). Gone with the wind. However, the encoded version %2D should work (according to the documentation of Google’s API).

"relative bioavailability" %2D"bioequivalence"

Two results. Rrrreally?

Dif-tor heh smusma 🖖🏼 Довге життя Україна! [image]
Helmut Schütz
[image]

The quality of responses received is directly proportional to the quality of the question asked. 🚮
Science Quotes
ElMaestro
★★★

Denmark,
2018-05-28 19:15
(2130 d 17:00 ago)

@ Helmut
Posting: # 18823
Views: 5,080

logical "and" in Google search

Hey great,

thanks Hötzi.

More posts of this type, please :-):-):-)

Pass or fail!
ElMaestro
Helmut
★★★
Homepage
Vienna, Austria,
2018-05-28 19:24
(2130 d 16:51 ago)

@ ElMaestro
Posting: # 18824
Views: 5,129

Hi ElMaestro,

❝ More posts of this type, please :-):-):-)

Well, try the second version and browse through the results. Most are pooh.

Helmut Schütz
[image]

The quality of responses received is directly proportional to the quality of the question asked. 🚮
Science Quotes
ElMaestro
★★★

Denmark,
2018-05-29 01:29
(2130 d 10:46 ago)

@ Helmut
Posting: # 18825
Views: 5,095

Hi again,

❝ Well, try the second version and browse through the results. Most are pooh.

I need to take this in in small bites.
If I type "relative bioavailability" -"bioequivalence" in the google search engine it seems to work just fine mostly?

Google believe that should work, too?
Or did you somehow trigger such a search search from within an application since you discuss the API? Just got a bit confused. The minus sign gives me what I want, I think, but I do recall a case not long ago when I had such an issue when google gave me utter garbage and I was looking around for syntactical google tricks.

Now switched to duckduckgogo.com. Paranoia, not web coverage :lookaround:. I rarely search for anything that this search engine can't find for me. The minus sign does not work well in that engine.

Pass or fail!
ElMaestro
nobody
nothing

2018-05-29 10:40
(2130 d 01:35 ago)

@ ElMaestro
Posting: # 18826
Views: 5,029

Hi ladies!

Artificial intelligence in my experience is mostly artificial nonsense. And, more important: your Google is not my Google, the results are highly personalized based on your history.

Try startpage.com, which is anonymized Google search and you get completely different hits compared to Google used directly most of the time.

duckduckgo is hidden Microtrash ehhm Microsoft, so not really as step forward regarding privacy.

I started trying out qwant.com recently (for "private" stuff first, seems to work fine so far) even has a plugin for Firefox (the not-so privacy browser, you know ;-))....

Kindest regards, nobody
Helmut
★★★
Homepage
Vienna, Austria,
2018-05-30 15:11
(2128 d 21:04 ago)

@ nobody
Posting: # 18829
Views: 5,071

Google: AND | NOT

Hi nobody,

❝ Artificial intelligence in my experience is mostly artificial nonsense.

Full ACK. See the end of this post. :-D

❝ Try startpage.com, which is anonymized Google search and you get completely different hits compared to Google used directly most of the time.

Looks good. Made it my standard search engine. THX for the suggestion.

@ElMaestro

❝ ❝ […] did you somehow trigger such a search search from within an application since you discuss the API?

I did. Forgive me.
In Google you have to use AND or NOT (capital letters mandatory)

Helmut Schütz
[image]

Science Quotes
UA Flag
Activity
 Admin contact
22,957 posts in 4,819 threads, 1,639 registered users;
68 visitors (0 registered, 68 guests [including 4 identified bots]).
Forum time: 11:16 CET (Europe/Vienna)

Nothing shows a lack of mathematical education more
than an overly precise calculation.    Carl Friedrich Gauß

The Bioequivalence and Bioavailability Forum is hosted by
BEBAC Ing. Helmut Schütz
HTML5