☆    

India,
2018-05-03 14:28
(2155 d 23:47 ago)

Posting: # 18753
Views: 2,744

Steady State design [Design Issues]

Dear Sir/Madam,

I have some doubts in designing study state protocols.

Example: Tamsulosin

how to fix number of days to dosing

how to fix number of doses per day

My regular practice is if label/smpc states achievement of steady-state concentrations by the fifth day of once-a-day dosing for Tamsulosin, i will design the study state protocol with once a day dosing for five days. but i want to know the exact scientific rationale behind this.

please help me...

Regards,
Rajasekhar

Edit: Category changed; see also this post #1. [Helmut]
Helmut
★★★
Homepage
Vienna, Austria,
2018-05-03 16:12
(2155 d 22:02 ago)

@ rajasekharkakarla
Posting: # 18754
Views: 2,239

5–7 predominant half lives

Hi Rajasekhar,

❝ Example: Tamsulosin

❝ how to fix number of days to dosing

Until (pseudo) steady state is achieved. See this post for an example of linear PK.
Which regulation are you “targeting”? For the FDA a multiple dose study is not required. Since the SmPC recommends intake after breakfast, according to the EMA’s GL the multiple dose study has to be performed in fed state.

❝ how to fix number of doses per day

According to the posology of the reference (for tamsulosin OAD after breakfast).

❝ My regular practice is if label/smpc states achievement of steady-state concentrations by the fifth day of once-a-day dosing for Tamsulosin, i will design the study state protocol with once a day dosing for five days.

Fine but copy/paste ≠ science. :-D

❝ […] i want to know the exact scientific rationale behind this.

Kudos. Steady state is practically reached after 5–7 predominant half lives (96.9–99.2% of theoretical steady state). Note that Flomax® is a CR-formulation (flip-flop PK, where ka < ke). Whereas the elimination half life (after IV or IR) is ~6–7 hours, the apparent one of the CR is substantially prolonged (see the FDA’s NDA approval; page 217 of the PDF).

For drugs with nonlinear PK (e.g., saturation of metabolizing enzymes, auto-induction or -inhibition) it is complicated. Consult with a pharmacokineticist.

Dif-tor heh smusma 🖖🏼 Довге життя Україна! [image]
Helmut Schütz
[image]

The quality of responses received is directly proportional to the quality of the question asked. 🚮
Science Quotes
UA Flag
Activity
 Admin contact
22,957 posts in 4,819 threads, 1,639 registered users;
69 visitors (0 registered, 69 guests [including 5 identified bots]).
Forum time: 13:15 CET (Europe/Vienna)

Nothing shows a lack of mathematical education more
than an overly precise calculation.    Carl Friedrich Gauß

The Bioequivalence and Bioavailability Forum is hosted by
BEBAC Ing. Helmut Schütz
HTML5