mahmoud-teaima
★    

2017-10-24 21:18
(2347 d 04:09 ago)

Posting: # 17916
Views: 7,954

T/R ratio for estimation of sample size in BE study of NTI drugs [Power / Sample Size]

Salam to all,
Pease, advise me about what is the best T/R ratio to be used for estimating sample size for a BE study of NTI drugs? knowing that the GL to be followed set the 90% CI acceptance range to (90-111.11) for Cmax if a "2x2x2" design be followed.
I'm confused to use T/R ratio of 0.95 or 0.975?!

+++++++++++ Equivalence test - TOST +++++++++++
            Sample size estimation
-----------------------------------------------
Study design:  2x2 crossover
log-transformed data (multiplicative model)

alpha = 0.05, target power = 0.8
BE margins = 0.9 ... 1.1111
True ratio = 0.95,  CV = 0.0945

Sample size (total)
 n     power
40   0.808788

+++++++++++ Equivalence test - TOST +++++++++++
            Sample size estimation
-----------------------------------------------
Study design:  2x2 crossover

alpha = 0.05, target power = 0.8
BE margins = 0.9 ... 1.1111
True ratio = 0.975,  CV = 0.0945

Sample size (total)
 n     power
20   0.820356

Greetings.

Mahmoud Teaima, PhD.
Helmut
★★★
Homepage
Vienna, Austria,
2017-10-25 01:15
(2347 d 00:11 ago)

@ mahmoud-teaima
Posting: # 17917
Views: 7,099

T/R ratio for estimation of sample size in BE study of NTI drugs

Salam Mahmoud,

❝ Pease, advise me about what is the best T/R ratio to be used for estimating sample size for a BE study of NTI drugs? knowing that the GL to be followed set the 90% CI acceptance range to (90-111.11) for Cmax if a "2x2x2" design be followed.

❝ I'm confused to use T/R ratio of 0.95 or 0.975?!

Both are fine. Note that the FDA requires tighter batch release spec’s for NTIDs. Hence, in function sampleN.NTIDFDA() of PowerTOST the default is 0.975 – contrary to the usual 0.95.

library(PowerTOST)
sampleN.NTIDFDA(CV=0.0945)

+++++++++++ FDA method for NTID's +++++++++++
           Sample size estimation
---------------------------------------------
Study design:  2x2x4
1e+05 studies for each step simulated.

alpha  = 0.05, target power = 0.8
CVw(T) = 0.0945, CVw(R) = 0.0945
True ratio     = 0.975
ABE limits     = 0.8 ... 1.25
Implied scABEL = 0.9054 ... 1.1044
Regulatory settings: FDA
- Regulatory const. = 1.053605
- 'CVcap'           = 0.2142

Sample size search
 n     power
16   0.777210
18   0.831050

Dif-tor heh smusma 🖖🏼 Довге життя Україна! [image]
Helmut Schütz
[image]

The quality of responses received is directly proportional to the quality of the question asked. 🚮
Science Quotes
ElMaestro
★★★

Denmark,
2017-10-25 14:34
(2346 d 10:53 ago)

@ Helmut
Posting: # 17920
Views: 7,101

Hi Hötzi,

❝ Both are fine. Note that the FDA requires tighter batch release spec’s for NTIDs. Hence, in function sampleN.NTIDFDA() of PowerTOST the default is 0.975 – contrary to the usual 0.95.

This strays away from the usually stringent scientific principles that this forum usually promotes, doesn't it?
We plug in the GMR that we think/predict/guess is a realistic and relevant indicator of relative product performance, possibly with a buffer to factor in worst cases. Habits, experience and gut feeling.
There is no divine aspect of NTID's, as far as I know, that makes them easier to copy than non-NTID's from a strict formulation perspective so I don't know if the default is much science based.
Although I am sure 0.975 is condoned by the guy in the Armani suit.:-D He would definitely also like it for non-NTID's.

Perhaps all this boils down to the use of anything "default" in a power calculation. It is extremely handy. And it is a bit dangerous. Perhaps the world would be a better place altogether if such functions did not assume defaults for CV and GMR and designs - this would force users to actually *** badum tssss *** think just a little bit about the values they plug in before deriving a power.

OK, rant over, I'll take my medicine now. Stage III syphilis...

Pass or fail!
ElMaestro
nobody
nothing

2017-10-26 16:03
(2345 d 09:24 ago)

@ ElMaestro
Posting: # 17921
Views: 6,907

...to be true: I would support discouraging the use of defaults without any knowledge on the actual products (dissolution, pharmaceutical quality etc.). Planning a BE-study should involve that you know that the "correct" GMR / sample size is hindsight knowledge and one way or the other there is a risk to loose money (too many volunteers, too little power to conclude BE), one way ore the other... :-)

Kindest regards, nobody
d_labes
★★★

Berlin, Germany,
2017-10-26 16:49
(2345 d 08:38 ago)

@ nobody
Posting: # 17922
Views: 7,129

Defaults in PowerTOST

Dear Öberster Größter Meister, Nobody!

❝ ... Planning a BE-study should involve that you know that the "correct" GMR / sample size is hindsight knowledge ...

You never know the population values of CV and/or GMR you need to have a reliable sample size estimation. You always rely on assumptions / guesses, educated or not / gut feeling or whatever else for these values. If this is scientific is left to you. Default or not :no:.

And remember: At the end of the day the sponsor (with or without Armani suite) is always right.
I never came across with cases where the sponsor desired sample size was not "scientifically" estimated and justified.
"Power Calculation - A guess masquerading as mathematics." Stephen Senn
Remember the BOSS button in Dave's Fartssie.xls! More than once I was asked to introduce such tool in PowerTOST.

Nevertheless you may contact the Maintainer of PowerTOST and suggest changes or create an issue on GitHub. Best to suggest to abstain from all defaults including alpha=0.05 or the BE acceptance limits 0.8 ... 1.25 to force the user to think about those settings.
But be warned. It's best not to tangle that Maintainer guy without an Armani suite. May be he is biting back :-D.

Regards,

Detlew
UA Flag
Activity
 Admin contact
22,957 posts in 4,819 threads, 1,636 registered users;
74 visitors (0 registered, 74 guests [including 10 identified bots]).
Forum time: 00:27 CET (Europe/Vienna)

Nothing shows a lack of mathematical education more
than an overly precise calculation.    Carl Friedrich Gauß

The Bioequivalence and Bioavailability Forum is hosted by
BEBAC Ing. Helmut Schütz
HTML5