☆    

India,
2017-07-27 09:05
(2436 d 10:54 ago)

Posting: # 17618
Views: 7,815

within-subject variance vs within-subject variability [General Sta­tis­tics]

Dear
Is there any difference between within-subject variance and within-subject variability ?
If yes, how to calculate one from another ?

Edit: Category changed; see also this post #1. [Helmut]

Regards
VP
Helmut
★★★
Homepage
Vienna, Austria,
2017-07-27 20:08
(2435 d 23:51 ago)

@ ViPraj
Posting: # 17619
Views: 6,893

Variability for non-statisticians

Hi VP,

❝ Is there any difference between within-subject variance and within-subject variability ?

Variability is a term statisticians use when desperately trying to communicate with members of the real world (phy­sicians, patients, the boss). ;-)
In statistics two parameters describe a distribution. One gives the location (mean, median, …) and the other dispersion (variance or standard deviation, interquartile range, …). You have to figure out yourself from the context what is meant. In BE (log-transformed data) most common: \(CV = \sqrt{e^{s^2}-1}\).

Dif-tor heh smusma 🖖🏼 Довге життя Україна! [image]
Helmut Schütz
[image]

The quality of responses received is directly proportional to the quality of the question asked. 🚮
Science Quotes
ViPraj
☆    

India,
2017-08-01 08:31
(2431 d 11:28 ago)

@ Helmut
Posting: # 17639
Views: 6,671

Dear Helmut
Thanks for your response.
Actually while reading the USFDA reference scaled BE guidance of Progesterone and Warfarin this question came in my mind.I was thinking that S2w (S square w) is within subject variance and Sw is within subject variability (assumption was based on the formula mentioned for variance and standard deviation in various literature) . Pl. confirm if it is true or false. Also i was interested in knowing how we can calculate S2w (S square w) from available Sw value.

Regards
VP
Shuanghe
★★  

Spain,
2017-08-01 12:07
(2431 d 07:52 ago)

@ ViPraj
Posting: # 17640
Views: 6,678

Hi Vipraj,

❝ I was thinking that S2w (S square w) is within subject variance and Sw is within subject variability (assumption was based on the formula mentioned for variance and standard deviation in various literature) . Pl. confirm if it is true or false.

Yes. In fact, the step 1 of method description before the SAS code in FDA's guidance already clearly mentioned it as "Determine SWR, the within-subject standard deviation (SD) of the reference product, for the pharmacokinetic (PK) parameters AUC and Cmax. ..."

❝ Also i was interested in knowing how we can calculate S2w (S square w) from available Sw value.

Now I'm lost. You mean other way than just square it?

Back to your original question

❝ Is there any difference between within-subject variance and within-subject variability ?

Like Helmut said, depending on the context. Sometimes they mean the same thing, sometimes they don't.

In the "additional comments" of the same FDA guidance, they tell us in order to apply the scaled method the criterion is "within-subject variability ≥ 30%)", so clearly here the variability is not equal to variance since you need to do sqrt(exp(s2w) - 1) to get it. :-D

All the best,
Shuanghe
Helmut
★★★
Homepage
Vienna, Austria,
2017-08-01 18:55
(2431 d 01:04 ago)

@ Shuanghe
Posting: # 17643
Views: 7,391

swR 0.294 ≠ CVwR 30%

Hi Shuanghe,

❝ In the "additional comments" of the same FDA guidance, they tell us in order to apply the scaled method the criterion is "within-subject variability ≥ 30%)", so clearly here the variability is not equal to variance since you need to do sqrt(exp(s2w) - 1) to get it. :-D

Yep, sloppy as usual.

[…] please provide evidence of high variability […] (i.e., within-subject variability ≥ 30%).
If swR ≥ 0.294, use the reference-scaled procedure to determine BE for the individual PK parameter(s)

\(\sqrt{\log(0.294^2) + 1} = 0.2935604 \ldots {\color{Red} \neq} 0.294\)
\(100\sqrt{e^{0.294^2}-1} = 30.04689\ldots\% {\color{Red} \neq} 30\%\)
Who cares about the fourth significant digit…

Regulators love simple numbers.
What does the EMA tell us? The switching variability is clearly defined as CVwR 30% (based on the paper of the two Lászlós). That would translate into a regulatory σ0 of 0.29356… and a switching condition \(\theta_s = \log(1.25)/\sigma_0 \equiv -\log(0.80)/\sigma_0 = 0.760128 \ldots\) Well, what do we have to use? 0.760. IIRC, Panos Macheras complained about it in one his papers about reference-scaling. ;-)

Picky: In code assessing ABEL (SAS, Phoenix/WinNonlin) only the 90% CI should be rounded to two digits, not the expanded limits themselves. Otherwise a discontinuity will appear close to CVwR 50%:

[image]

[image]

Dif-tor heh smusma 🖖🏼 Довге життя Україна! [image]
Helmut Schütz
[image]

The quality of responses received is directly proportional to the quality of the question asked. 🚮
Science Quotes
UA Flag
Activity
 Admin contact
22,957 posts in 4,819 threads, 1,636 registered users;
83 visitors (0 registered, 83 guests [including 10 identified bots]).
Forum time: 18:59 CET (Europe/Vienna)

Nothing shows a lack of mathematical education more
than an overly precise calculation.    Carl Friedrich Gauß

The Bioequivalence and Bioavailability Forum is hosted by
BEBAC Ing. Helmut Schütz
HTML5