VSP
☆    

India,
2017-05-07 23:10
(2516 d 13:01 ago)

Posting: # 17313
Views: 5,317

Replacing a subject withdrawn for dose failure with a stand-by subject [Study Per­for­mance]

Hi All,

I would like to request you all kindly clarify, whether replacing a subject withdrawn for dose failure (ex., Sub-lingual Film) with a stand-by subject will be considered contradiction/violation of protocol?

Thanks in advance
VSP
Dr_Dan
★★  

Germany,
2017-05-08 18:45
(2515 d 17:25 ago)

@ VSP
Posting: # 17320
Views: 4,496

Replacing a subject withdrawn for dose failure with a stand-by subject

Dear VSP
Please explain what do you mean by dose failure in case of sub-lingual film.
IMHO dose failure = post dose = drop-out => replacement not possible if not explicitly permitted by the protocol.

Kind regards and have a nice day
Dr_Dan
Helmut
★★★
Homepage
Vienna, Austria,
2017-05-08 22:23
(2515 d 13:47 ago)

@ VSP
Posting: # 17323
Views: 4,423

Replacing a subject…

Hi VSP,

❝ […] replacing a subject withdrawn for dose failure (ex., Sub-lingual Film) with a stand-by subject will be considered contradiction/violation of protocol?

[image]Only you know the protocol – so what are you expecting from us? I agree with what Dan wrote above.
A dropout is a dropout is a dropout.

The procedure of “replacing” subjects opens a can of worms (related to the statistical treatment of multi-group studies). The periods of these subjects are different from the other subjects. The loss in power in a properly planned study is usually negligible. If you don’t believe me, add some subjects to the estimated sample size in order to compensate for the expected dropout-rate.

Another story are “reserve subjects”. They signed the ICF, comply with the inclusion criteria, are screened, etc. Sometimes a volunteer gets ill before the first administration or withdraws consent (‘I don’t like the face of the PI, this place sucks, my neighbor last last night snored, …’). Then one of the “reserves” jumps in. Hence, in many CROs subjects are randomized in the morning of the first day and not at hospitalization. That’s fine as long as you have an SOP in place and/or describe it in the protocol.

Dif-tor heh smusma 🖖🏼 Довге життя Україна! [image]
Helmut Schütz
[image]

The quality of responses received is directly proportional to the quality of the question asked. 🚮
Science Quotes
ElMaestro
★★★

Denmark,
2017-05-09 00:16
(2515 d 11:54 ago)

@ VSP
Posting: # 17326
Views: 4,404

Off topic: What is dose failure for a subling film?

Dear VSP, all,

❝ (...) dose failure (ex., Sub-lingual Film) (...)

This caught my attention.
What is dose failure for this type of product, and how is it verified??

The subling films dissolve rapidly so I am thinking the classical mouth check with tongue depressor and penlight does not achieve much. If there's nothing to see, then it means the subject took the dose or that she/he didn't :-)

Perhaps something else was meant?? I am a curious person so please pardon me for going a little off topic.

Pass or fail!
ElMaestro
UA Flag
Activity
 Admin contact
22,957 posts in 4,819 threads, 1,639 registered users;
58 visitors (0 registered, 58 guests [including 6 identified bots]).
Forum time: 11:11 CET (Europe/Vienna)

Nothing shows a lack of mathematical education more
than an overly precise calculation.    Carl Friedrich Gauß

The Bioequivalence and Bioavailability Forum is hosted by
BEBAC Ing. Helmut Schütz
HTML5