maulik963
☆    

India,
2016-05-31 10:09
(2858 d 20:55 ago)

Posting: # 16372
Views: 3,403

Partial AUC & Cmax in case of multiphasic modified release drug product [Regulatives / Guidelines]

Dear All,

I wish to conduct a 2-way crossover study on multiphasic modified release drug product for EMEA submission.

The drug product is a prolonged release formulation with biphasic release pattern (IR+MR). The initial maximum concentration achieves at about 1 to 2 hours (due to release of IR Part) and Peak plasma concentration achieves at about 6 to 8 hours.

As per "Guideline on the pharmacokinetic and clinical evaluation of modified release dosage forms_Jun-2015", For single dose study of multiphasic modified release drug product following parameters has to show bioequivalence.
AUC0-t, AUC0-∞, partialAUCs and Cmax in all phases.

I have kept AUC0-t, AUC0-∞, partialAUC0-2, partialAUC2-t.

Please provide your opinion on following points.

(1) Please help to understand the meaning of "Cmax in all phases".
Shall I consider it as Cmax(0-2) & Cmax(2-t)? OR shall I consider Cmax(0-t)?
Shall I report the result for Cmax(0-2) & Cmax(2-t) and prove bioequivalence only on Cmax(0-t)?

(2) As per the guideline, Cmax(x+1) and partialAUC(x+1) also need to be evaluated. In this case shall I consider it as Cmax(2+1) = Cmax0-3 & partialAUC(2+1) = partialAUC(0-3)? Please help to understand the rationale of Cmax(x+1) & partialAUC(x+1).

Thanks in advance.
Helmut
★★★
Homepage
Vienna, Austria,
2016-05-31 15:14
(2858 d 15:50 ago)

@ maulik963
Posting: # 16373
Views: 2,800

The x unveiled

Hi Maulik,

❝ The drug product is a prolonged release formulation with biphasic release pattern (IR+MR). The initial maximum concentration achieves at about 1 to 2 hours (due to release of IR Part) and Peak plasma concentration achieves at about 6 to 8 hours.

❝ […] For single dose study of multiphasic modified release drug product following parameters has to show bioequivalence.

❝ AUC0-t, AUC0-∞, partialAUCs and Cmax in all phases.

❝ I have kept AUC0-t, AUC0-∞, partialAUC0-2, partialAUC2-t.

Correct.

❝ (1) Please help to understand the meaning of "Cmax in all phases".

❝ Shall I consider it as Cmax(0-2) & Cmax(2-t)?

Yes. Pre-specified cut-off time 2 hours. Hence, 1st phase ≤2 hours and 2nd phase >2 hours. You have to demonstrate BE for both.

❝ (2) As per the guideline, Cmax(x+1) and partialAUC(x+1) also need to be evaluated. In this case shall I consider it as Cmax(2+1) = Cmax0-3 & partialAUC(2+1) = partialAUC(0-3)?

No. The “x” in the table of Section 6.8.2.1 is an index denoting the phase – not a time point. In your case: Cmax(1) = Cmax(0–2), Cmax(2) = Cmax(2–t), partialAUC(1) = partialAUC0–2, partialAUC(2) = partialAUC2–t – exactly as you correctly guessed in the beginning of your post.

For most biphasic products the first phase is critical in terms of variability. Consider reference-scaling (both Cmax and partial AUC).

Dif-tor heh smusma 🖖🏼 Довге життя Україна! [image]
Helmut Schütz
[image]

The quality of responses received is directly proportional to the quality of the question asked. 🚮
Science Quotes
maulik963
☆    

India,
2016-06-02 15:45
(2856 d 15:19 ago)

@ Helmut
Posting: # 16380
Views: 2,679

The x unveiled

Dear Helmut,

Thanks for the reply. As I understood, Cmax(x) denotes for an Immediate release phase of the formulation and Cmax(x+1) denotes for the modified release phase of the formulation. Please correct if I am wrong.

In addition to Cmax(0-2) & Cmax(2-t), shall I consider Cmax(total) [i.e. Cmax(0-t)] to demonstrate BE?

Based on the above discussion shall I keep below PK parameters to demonstrate BE?
AUC0-t, AUC0-∞, partialAUC(0-2), partialAUC(2-t), Cmax(0-2), Cmax(2-t) & Cmax(0-t).
Helmut
★★★
Homepage
Vienna, Austria,
2016-06-02 16:07
(2856 d 14:57 ago)

@ maulik963
Posting: # 16381
Views: 2,691

Biphasic: x=2

Hi Maulik,

❝ As I understood, Cmax(x) denotes for an Immediate release phase of the formulation and Cmax(x+1) denotes for the modified release phase of the formulation.

In your case (biphasic), yes. The guideline deals with multiphasic formulations. Hhence, x>2 is possible.

❝ In addition to Cmax(0-2) & Cmax(2-t), shall I consider Cmax(total) [i.e. Cmax(0-t)] to demonstrate BE?

No. In my studies I only reported it.

❝ Based on the above discussion shall I keep below PK parameters to demonstrate BE?

❝ AUC0-t, AUC0-∞, partialAUC(0-2), partialAUC(2-t), Cmax(0-2), Cmax(2-t) & Cmax(0-t).

Exactly. Good luck for demonstrating BE of seven PK-metrics…

PS: If you crosspost (e.g., to David’s PKPD-list) link to this thread as well. Helps others “over there” to see what’s going on.

Dif-tor heh smusma 🖖🏼 Довге життя Україна! [image]
Helmut Schütz
[image]

The quality of responses received is directly proportional to the quality of the question asked. 🚮
Science Quotes
UA Flag
Activity
 Admin contact
22,957 posts in 4,819 threads, 1,636 registered users;
102 visitors (0 registered, 102 guests [including 5 identified bots]).
Forum time: 06:04 CET (Europe/Vienna)

With four parameters I can fit an elephant,
and with five I can make him wiggle his trunk.    John von Neumann

The Bioequivalence and Bioavailability Forum is hosted by
BEBAC Ing. Helmut Schütz
HTML5