☆    

India,
2015-04-25 15:33
(3282 d 11:29 ago)

Posting: # 14736
Views: 5,016

Study population [Design Issues]

Dear All,

According to the EMA GL CPMP/EWP/QWP/1401/98 Rev. 1/ Corr**London, 20 January 2010, "Subjects should preferably be non-smokers"

However, I have referred BE studies of Nicotine Replacements Therapy (NRT) Products (Gum, lozenges, microtab, mints etc) and noticed that only healthy-smokers had been used in NRT products BE studies.

My queries are:
  1. What is the rationale behind the selection of healthy smokers for BE studies of NRT products? ?
  2. Can we use healthy non-smokers for BE study of NRT products? Can we follow the GL only?
  3. Is there any regulatory compulsion for use of healthy smokers in BE study of NRT products? Specially EU.

Thanks and regards,

MMW
Helmut
★★★
Homepage
Vienna, Austria,
2015-04-25 17:03
(3282 d 09:59 ago)

@ mmw
Posting: # 14737
Views: 4,085

Study population

Hi mmw,

❝ According to the EMA GL[…] "Subjects should preferably be non-smokers"

Should preferrably be does not mean have to be, must be, etc.

❝ I have referred BE studies of Nicotine Replacements Therapy (NRT) […] and noticed that only healthy-smokers had been used in NRT products BE studies.

Yep. In all studies I have seen as well.

❝ 1. What is the rationale behind the selection of healthy smokers for BE studies of NRT products? ?

Smokers are addicted to nicotine and adapted to the effects/AEs. You don’t want to have a lot its AEs caused in non-smokers.

❝ 2. Can we use healthy non-smokers for BE study of NRT products? Can we follow the GL only?

I wouldn’t. The GL is not a law.

❝ 3. Is there any regulatory compulsion for use of healthy smokers in BE study of NRT products? Specially EU.

Not that I recall.

Dif-tor heh smusma 🖖🏼 Довге життя Україна! [image]
Helmut Schütz
[image]

The quality of responses received is directly proportional to the quality of the question asked. 🚮
Science Quotes
mmw
☆    

India,
2015-04-27 08:22
(3280 d 18:40 ago)

@ Helmut
Posting: # 14738
Views: 3,935

Study population

Dear Sir,

Thanks for your reply.

Thanks

MMW
UA Flag
Activity
 Admin contact
22,988 posts in 4,825 threads, 1,656 registered users;
104 visitors (0 registered, 104 guests [including 5 identified bots]).
Forum time: 03:02 CEST (Europe/Vienna)

The whole purpose of education is
to turn mirrors into windows.    Sydney J. Harris

The Bioequivalence and Bioavailability Forum is hosted by
BEBAC Ing. Helmut Schütz
HTML5