☆    

Austria,
2015-04-14 14:48
(3291 d 17:05 ago)

Posting: # 14682
Views: 4,927

linear kinetics following infusion? [PK / PD]

Dear friends!

I am involved in the planing phase of a repeated dose TK study (pre-clincal) in which drug is administered by infusion and I am wondering whether there is a conflict regarding zero-order absorption processes and linear kinetics IF one can assume a constant infusion interval (for a given dose range)?

I want to know if it is valid to play around with different simulated scenarios (different doses, different dosing intervals, ...) on the assumption of linear kinetics AND a constant infusion interval...

Thanks a lot, as always...
Alex
Helmut
★★★
Homepage
Vienna, Austria,
2015-04-14 16:38
(3291 d 15:15 ago)

@ Alex
Posting: # 14684
Views: 3,881

linear kinetics following infusion?

Hi Alex,

you can assume anything and will know after the experiment. ;-)
Theoretically infusion rates matter. It might be that with a fast infusion rate you saturate the meta­bo­lizing enzyme(s) (high Cmax) and with a slow one (low Cmax) not. You could expect a slower elimination in the former case. However, unless you torture the enzymes in such a way that the elimination switches at high concentrations to zero-order (like C2H5OH) you could still expect ~equal AUCs (=linear PK).
Personally I don’t think you should be too worried about infusions. Such effects are more likely if com­paring very fast releasing oral formulations with MR.

Dif-tor heh smusma 🖖🏼 Довге життя Україна! [image]
Helmut Schütz
[image]

The quality of responses received is directly proportional to the quality of the question asked. 🚮
Science Quotes
UA Flag
Activity
 Admin contact
22,986 posts in 4,823 threads, 1,660 registered users;
49 visitors (0 registered, 49 guests [including 3 identified bots]).
Forum time: 07:54 CEST (Europe/Vienna)

Art is “I”; science is “we”.    Claude Bernard

The Bioequivalence and Bioavailability Forum is hosted by
BEBAC Ing. Helmut Schütz
HTML5