Roberto
☆    

Italy,
2015-02-19 17:51
(3325 d 22:21 ago)

Posting: # 14461
Views: 5,687

Reuse of samples already extracted for repetition of a run [Bioanalytics]

Dear colleagues, I have a question to submit to you.
Due to a failure of an analytical run it’s possible to repeat an entire run using the fraction stored in the refrigerator of all the samples already extracted?
The failure was due to an instrumental problem highlighted by an internal investigation as foreseen by a specific SOP, and the samples to be reuse have a stability in the refrigerator that allows their use, as supported by the specific study.

Thanks in advance
Roberto
Ohlbe
★★★

France,
2015-02-19 19:48
(3325 d 20:25 ago)

@ Roberto
Posting: # 14463
Views: 4,825

Reuse of samples already extracted for repetition of a run

Dear Roberto,

❝ The failure was due to an instrumental problem highlighted by an internal investigation as foreseen by a specific SOP

If indeed you have clear evidence (not just an assumption) that there was an instrument malfunction, you should be able to re-inject the extracts.

Regards
Ohlbe
Dr_Dan
★★  

Germany,
2015-02-20 09:29
(3325 d 06:44 ago)

@ Ohlbe
Posting: # 14468
Views: 4,783

Dear Ohlbe

❝ If indeed you have clear evidence (not just an assumption) that there was an instrument malfunction, you should be able to re-inject the extracts.

IMHO you should also consider if the internal investigation took place before or after statistical evaluation and thus was triggered by an unexpected or unfavorable study result.

Kind regards
Dr_Dan

Kind regards and have a nice day
Dr_Dan
Ohlbe
★★★

France,
2015-02-20 10:39
(3325 d 05:34 ago)

@ Dr_Dan
Posting: # 14469
Views: 4,767

Dear Dan,

❝ IMHO you should also consider if the internal investigation took place before or after statistical evaluation and thus was triggered by an unexpected or unfavorable study result.

Agreed.

I interpreted Roberto's reference to failed runs as meaning that the calibration and / or QCs failed, or that significant interferences were seen, or this kind of things. Considering also that the data available on extracts stability are usually limited to 72 h max, I also assumed that the internal investigation took place before statistical evaluation. To me it would not be acceptable to run the stats, see that the study fails, go back to the chromatograms, say "oh we had a problem with this run" and re-analyse the samples. Whether this would be done by re-injecting the extracts or by completely re-processing them would make no difference.

Regards
Ohlbe
nobody
nothing

2015-02-20 12:58
(3325 d 03:15 ago)

@ Roberto
Posting: # 14470
Views: 4,827

Hi!

Which SOP? What kind of technical problem?

Every analytical re-run is fishy, as long as the first try is fully evaluable.

Kindest regards, nobody
Roberto
☆    

Italy,
2015-02-25 10:57
(3320 d 05:15 ago)

@ nobody
Posting: # 14505
Views: 4,598

Dear colleagues
Thank you for your opinions and, especially Ohlbe which, I think has got the gist the real problem.
No stats was made prior. We are only a laboratory of analytical determination and the PK statistics are made by the Sponsor. The instrument (LC-MS-MS) at about halfway began to respond abnormally and only in the morning we could realize what happened and an investigation was started.
The consequence was the QC failed in the second part of the run (when the instrumental response is changed), and consequently the entire run failed and should be repeated.
Having studied the stability of the samples after extraction, it was decided to reuse all them (CS, QS, unknown samples stored in the refrigerator) to repeat the run.
IMHO we decided correctly.
Yours truly
Roberto
UA Flag
Activity
 Admin contact
22,957 posts in 4,819 threads, 1,636 registered users;
119 visitors (0 registered, 119 guests [including 4 identified bots]).
Forum time: 16:13 CET (Europe/Vienna)

With four parameters I can fit an elephant,
and with five I can make him wiggle his trunk.    John von Neumann

The Bioequivalence and Bioavailability Forum is hosted by
BEBAC Ing. Helmut Schütz
HTML5