★★  

Germany,
2015-02-17 19:55
(3349 d 13:50 ago)

Posting: # 14445
Views: 3,046

small peptide = pure generic? [Regulatives / Guidelines]

Dear all
anybody familiar with biosimilars? If you have a small peptide (<50 aminoacids) and you can clearly show beside the aminoacid sequence that the chemical structure is exactly the same as in the originator drug do you need really more than a bioequivalence study to proof safety and efficacy?
It is always told that the standard generic approach by demonstration of bioequivalence is in principle not sufficient to demonstrate similarity of biological/biotechnology-derived products due to their complexity. But hold this also true for a small peptide which is not complex like a therapeutic protein (>50 aminoacids)? Guideline CHMP/437/04 Rev 1 states that in specific circumstances, a confirmatory clinical trial may not be necessary. This requires that similar efficacy and safety can clearly be deduced from the similarity of physicochemical characteristics, biological activity/potency, and PK and/or PD profiles of the biosimilar and the reference product.
However this sounds quite vague and I would like to know the prerequisites to follow the simple approach. Where can I find more Information? Of course it is a case by case decision but it would be helpful to know the pitfalls.
Looking forward to your replies.
Kind regards
Dr_Dan

Kind regards and have a nice day
Dr_Dan
ElMaestro
★★★

Denmark,
2015-02-17 20:40
(3349 d 13:05 ago)

@ Dr_Dan
Posting: # 14447
Views: 2,556

small peptide = pure generic?

Hi Dan,

❝ However this sounds quite vague and I would like to know the prerequisites to follow the simple approach. Where can I find more Information? Of course it is a case by case decision but it would be helpful to know the pitfalls.

This is case-by-case and even between agencies the opinions differ.
If I were you I would look into the original form of the peptide. If there is one form (only!) quantitatively, and if the copycat is exactly that same form quantitatively, then you will have some chance to convince the regulators of a true generic submission.
You cannot find more info in the public domain, I think, and it is a little like the wind blows.
So get scientific advice. And bring an apple.

Pass or fail!
ElMaestro
nobody
nothing

2015-02-17 23:25
(3349 d 10:21 ago)

@ ElMaestro
Posting: # 14449
Views: 2,558

Hi again!

Any glycosides can be definitely excluded (via the expression system)? The impurity profile is dependent on the production process, so proteins are "a process", not "a compound".

Usually. Ask the oracle, and don't be surprised about the answer...

Kindest regards, nobody
VK
☆    

Russia,
2015-02-19 18:07
(3347 d 15:38 ago)

@ Dr_Dan
Posting: # 14462
Views: 2,452

Dear Dr_Dan,

Very interesting question.

❝ However this sounds quite vague and I would like to know the prerequisites to follow the simple approach. Where can I find more Information? Of course it is a case by case decision but it would be helpful to know the pitfalls.

Based on my experience in Russian Federation, the authorities are interested in manufacturing. So basically if both of the drugs, test and reference, are manufactured chemically (solid phase synthesis) , then the authorities might allow you to go for BE. Alternative if you use E.Coli or eukariotic systems, than you have to run clinical study.

Sincerely,

VK
UA Flag
Activity
 Admin contact
22,988 posts in 4,825 threads, 1,658 registered users;
99 visitors (0 registered, 99 guests [including 1 identified bots]).
Forum time: 10:46 CEST (Europe/Vienna)

The whole purpose of education is
to turn mirrors into windows.    Sydney J. Harris

The Bioequivalence and Bioavailability Forum is hosted by
BEBAC Ing. Helmut Schütz
HTML5