★★  

Russia,
2014-12-21 18:52
(3405 d 20:07 ago)

Posting: # 14126
Views: 7,657

Prolonged release: sampling time and washout calculation [Design Issues]

Dear All,

Could you please help me with the sampling time and sufficient washout calculation for prolonged release formulation.
According EMA (and russian) GL:
At least three to four samples are needed during the terminal log-linear phase in order to reliably estimate the terminal rate constant (which is needed for a reliable estimate of AUC(0-∞)).
Do I understand it right, that at least 3 points should be planned after the ending of absorption? What kind of parameters should I take into account for sampling time calculation?
For example: according to the literature data the absorption ends up in 20h, so should we add at least 3 timepoints after 20h to be able to calculate the terminal rate constant?

GL about washout period:
The treatment periods should be separated by a wash out period sufficient to ensure that drug concentrations are below the lower limit of bioanalytical quantification in all subjects at the beginning of the second period. Normally at least 5 elimination half-lives are necessary to achieve this.
I'm unable to make head nor tail of different types of halflives :confused:
We have halflife of API (derived from IV profile in originator's studies), halflife of prolonged release formulation (from other BEQ studies), apparent halflife (from originator's PK studies).
Which type of halflife should be used for washout calculation?

Kind regards,
Mittyri
ElMaestro
★★★

Denmark,
2014-12-21 21:38
(3405 d 17:21 ago)

@ mittyri
Posting: # 14128
Views: 6,950

Prolonged release: sampling time and washout calculation

Hi Mittyri,

❝ Do I understand it right, that at least 3 points should be planned after the ending of absorption? What kind of parameters should I take into account for sampling time calculation?

Talking about when absorption ends makes little sense I think. You satisfy regulators by being able to characterise well the first 80% of the entire concentration/time-curve. For that purpose you should have 3 points or more in the elimination phase.

❝ For example: according to the literature data the absorption ends up in 20h, so should we add at least 3 timepoints after 20h to be able to calculate the terminal rate constant?

No that's not really it. Absorption, distribution, metabolism and elimination and distribution all happen simultaneously. As above your goal is to have 3+ points in the terminal elimination phase. And note with some APIs you may have apparent bi- or trimodel elimination so you should focus on the last of the elimiation phases. Plenty points well beyond Tmax is a good idea.

❝ I'm unable to make head nor tail of different types of halflives :confused:

❝ We have halflife of API (derived from IV profile in originator's studies), halflife of prolonged release formulation (from other BEQ studies), apparent halflife (from originator's PK studies).

❝ Which type of halflife should be used for washout calculation?

Yeah its a mess of sorts. If you work on a CR formulation then the half-life you see is not the half-life you can compare to what you get from an IV study and that may in turn be different from IR formulation half-lives. Compare to the formulation that resembles your own.
Be aware of genetic variation. Use common sense. Give a little more info, please, then we'll have a look :-)

Pass or fail!
ElMaestro
AngusMcLean
★★  

USA,
2014-12-22 00:00
(3405 d 14:59 ago)

@ mittyri
Posting: # 14130
Views: 6,927

Prolonged release: sampling time and washout calculation

I think first thing is to understand what your are involved in. For an extended release formulation the late absorption from the formulation interferes with the determination of the elimination half life. It makes it longer. You could obtain this apparent half-life from a prior modified release formulation and use 6 half lives past the Tmax as your last sampling time.

For example if your Tmax from the MR formulation is 10 hours and your half life is 6 hours from the MR formulation then your last sampling time would be (10+6*6)= 46 hours.

Hope this helps, but more information is needed to do better,

Angus
Helmut
★★★
Homepage
Vienna, Austria,
2014-12-22 03:43
(3405 d 11:16 ago)

@ mittyri
Posting: # 14132
Views: 7,285

Predominant t½

Hi Mittyri,

I agree with what ElMaestro and Angus wrote. Essentially it is very simple: Assuming that you sample long enough – what you “see” in the terminal’ phase is always driven (but not identical to) the slowest pro­cess. For IR it is likely elimination (sometimes also redistribution from a deep compartment) and for CR it may be absorption.
Think about a simple one-compartment model, po administration. In a mathematical sense the two rate constants are not identifiable. You only assume that ka > kel. You can only be sure once you have ad­mi­nistered the drug iv. Have a look at this presentation, slide 19. I simulated a true elimination of eight hours (iv, yellow line). Hey, it’s easy to create new formulations on the desk! I started with an IR (ab­sorption t½ one hour) and slowed it down gradually. Once we have ka = kel we enter flip-flop PK. Not so evident in the linear plot but the lin/log-plot is interesting. As long as ka > kel we get an un­biased estimate of the elimination (the lines are only shifted to the right; same slope). In the flip-flop any beyond absorption drives the process.
Another nice observation: If we chance the absorption and keep elimination constant, the curves inter­sect the iv-curve at their respective tmax/Cmax. Of course, AUC is identical.
Now see the next slide. Until we reach flip-flop PK, AUC is practically unbiased. Some bias creeps in afterwards. Truncated AUC will not work any more – that’s why the MR-GL tells us for CR forms AUC72 is not acceptable as the only metric for extent of BA (like for IR and DR).
But – slide 22: If you have ka ≪ kel, the (still ongoing) absorption might be interrupted if the for­mu­la­tion leaves the GIT. Shit happens sometimes with matrix forms and osmotic pumps…

❝ Which type of halflife should be used for washout calculation?

The predominant (i.e., relevant) one. I don’t know your formulation. ;-)

Dif-tor heh smusma 🖖🏼 Довге життя Україна! [image]
Helmut Schütz
[image]

The quality of responses received is directly proportional to the quality of the question asked. 🚮
Science Quotes
mittyri
★★  

Russia,
2014-12-28 17:37
(3398 d 21:22 ago)

@ Helmut
Posting: # 14185
Views: 6,929

Prolonged release: updated data

Dear ElMaestro, Angus and Helmut,

Thank you for your advice!
I would like to continue with more data :-D
Due to some confidentiality thoughts of my boss I wouldn't name it exactly. But I think it won't be a problem for gurus ;-)
There is a graph of mean plasma conc from previous study:

[image]

Thalf of the API is about 3 hours. Thalf for this formulation (CR) in mentioned study varied from 4.9 to 8.3 (Mean was about 6.5)
Considering the updated data I would like to return to the questions:
  1. At least three to four samples are needed during the terminal log-linear phase
    How to define the approximate time of beginning the terminal log-linear phase (to plan the samples)?
  2. Normally at least 5 elimination half-lives are necessary to achieve this. [sufficient wash out period]
    So the washout period should be at least 42 hours = 8.39 (the max Thalf from previous study)X5. Do I understand it right?

Kind regards,
Mittyri
ElMaestro
★★★

Denmark,
2014-12-28 18:23
(3398 d 20:35 ago)

@ mittyri
Posting: # 14186
Views: 6,718

Hi Mittyri,

I am not so sure the mean plot with non-log conc. axis is informative towards the challenge you have. Instead, I think you should take a look at log Cpl versus time for each treatment for each individual. When you see three-four points that are reasonably on a linear streak, then you're ok.

Pass or fail!
ElMaestro
mittyri
★★  

Russia,
2014-12-29 08:57
(3398 d 06:01 ago)

@ ElMaestro
Posting: # 14196
Views: 6,587

Hi ElMaestro,

Sorry, I didn't wrote that the presented data is extracted from Public Assessment Report, so I do not have access to the individual data :-(
I reformatted the mean graph to semilog:
[image]

Can I use this graph for planning? As I can see the point 24 h is a first one on a linear streak.

Kind regards,
Mittyri
AngusMcLean
★★  

USA,
2014-12-29 01:00
(3398 d 13:59 ago)

@ mittyri
Posting: # 14191
Views: 6,666

I think the best thing to do is look at the individual profiles and select a group of the ones with the longest apparent half life. The group would be around about 20% of the total individual profiles in the set.

Then take the average half life of the slow group( let use say 8 hours) then add 5*8=40 hours out beyond the Tmax. If Tmax=10 hours then sampling is continued out to 50 hours (40+10) after drug administration
mittyri
★★  

Russia,
2014-12-29 09:32
(3398 d 05:26 ago)

@ AngusMcLean
Posting: # 14197
Views: 6,604

Prolonged release: washout

Hi Angus,

Sorry, the presented data is found in Public Assessment Report, I haven't access to the individual data. So I'm going to use the maximum of presented Thalf (8h) and mean Tmax for sampling time calculation, as you wrote in the example.

What about washout period calculation?
I can conclude from the presented data that 5 halflives are not enough for washout. Are there any rules for washout period calculation for Controlled Release Formulations?

Kind regards,
Mittyri
AngusMcLean
★★  

USA,
2014-12-29 16:29
(3397 d 22:29 ago)

@ mittyri
Posting: # 14202
Views: 6,618

Prolonged release: washout

I think that it is not always a great idea to have an assay with highest sensitivity. Calculate about 5% of the Cmax and use that as a target figure for lower limit of assay quantitation. What you cannot see cannot hurt you.

"no"; there is no formal guideline for washout period: The washout period for your drug should be ~10 half lives. For clinic convenience ~5 days. People often leave 1 week for their own convenience.

Angus
mittyri
★★  

Russia,
2014-12-29 22:11
(3397 d 16:48 ago)

@ AngusMcLean
Posting: # 14203
Views: 6,513

Prolonged release: thanks

Dear Angus,

Thank you for the detailed clarification!
You're right, the crucial issue is LLOQ.

PS: I wish you a happy New Year 2015!:party:

Kind regards,
Mittyri
UA Flag
Activity
 Admin contact
22,986 posts in 4,823 threads, 1,664 registered users;
53 visitors (1 registered, 52 guests [including 1 identified bots]).
Forum time: 15:59 CEST (Europe/Vienna)

Art is “I”; science is “we”.    Claude Bernard

The Bioequivalence and Bioavailability Forum is hosted by
BEBAC Ing. Helmut Schütz
HTML5