NJ,
2014-08-15 18:52
(3540 d 22:04 ago)

Posting: # 13387
Views: 5,109

Design question [Design Issues]

Hi everyone,

If I want to conduct a study with the following criteria:
  1. Conduct dosing on all subjects (same site, same time, not separate groups)
  2. Conduct bioanalytical on the first 50% of the study population (i.e, subject 1 – x).
  3. perform PK and BE assessment, and power:
    1. If passes BE and demonstrates acceptable power (>80%), conclude study based on 50% data.
    2. If fails BE, conduct bioanalytical on remaining 50% subjects and carry out pk and BE assessment with 100% data.
    3. If passes BE but fails power (<80%), conduct bioanalytical on remaining 50% of the subjects and carry out PK and BE with 100% data.
Questions:
  1. If I end up with option 3b or 3c, do I need to adjust for alpha?
  2. Is this design considered the same as a two-stage design (the tradition one)?
Thanks
John
ElMaestro
★★★

Denmark,
2014-08-15 19:37
(3540 d 21:20 ago)

@ jag009
Posting: # 13389
Views: 4,542

Design question

❝ If I want to conduct a study with the following criteria:

❝ 1. Conduct dosing on all subjects

Good idea.

❝ 2. Conduct bioanalytical on the first 50% of the study population (i.e, subject 1 – x).

Bad idea. :-D

❝ 3. perform PK and BE assessment, and power:

❝    a. If passes BE and demonstrates acceptable power (>80%), conclude study based on 50% data.

❝    b. If fails BE, conduct bioanalytical on remaining 50% subjects and carry out pk and BE assessment with 100% data.

❝    c. If passes BE but fails power (<80%), conduct bioanalytical on remaining 50% of the subjects and carry out PK and BE with 100% data.

You are basically asking for a Potvin method with the modification that no true dimensioning is done, instead you rather gamble that doubling the number of subjects leads to success.

❝ Questions:

❝ 1. If I end up with option 3b or 3c, do I need to adjust for alpha?

Yes, most likely. You may need to simulate the stuff and prove which alpha would protect against Type I error inflation.

❝ 2. Is this design considered the same as a two-stage design (the tradition one)?

Eye of the beholder.... This is a new design so probably only John the Almighty and a few others have considered it until now. If you wish to call it a two-stage design then it is ok with moi.
Some weirdo published a paper that could have marginal relevance to you. Link here.
One issue: If you only allow for doubling the trial size after stage 1, then the trial will in most practical situations have a very, very low power cf the publication reffed above. So low, that it might very well be a waste of time and money, and likely be unethical.

Pass or fail!
ElMaestro
Helmut
★★★
Homepage
Vienna, Austria,
2014-08-15 19:48
(3540 d 21:08 ago)

@ jag009
Posting: # 13390
Views: 4,621

Analyze part of subjects

Hi John,

❝ 1. If I end up with option 3b or 3c, do I need to adjust for alpha?

In 3a as well – if you don’t submit in Canada and/or the US only. 3a is similar to Potvin C, which is taboo in some countries.

❝ 2. Is this design considered the same as a two-stage design (the tradition one)?

It is actually more closely related to Pocock’s group sequential approach. But: Pocock’s method is for superiority testing, parallel groups, known (and equal) variances, normal distributed data, a fixed sample size N and one interim analysis after ½N. For this, the αadj 0.0294 was developed (Potvin’s 0.0294 is a mere coin­ci­dence). Talking BE, that’s not a different league, but a different sport. Therefore, you would have to find a suit­able αadj and validate the entire grid of possible combinations (sample sizes vs. CV) in order to show that the patient’s risk is maintained at ≤0.05.
Hint: Modify the code in this thread; function power.2stage.GS() in R-package Power2Stage can exactly do what you need.

Now for the big “But”. It’s a tempting idea to safe money in bioanalytics. I have seen similar attempts in the past. In most cases the protocol was not accepted by the IEC. You’ve put N subjects on risk and – even if you have demonstrated BE in the first half – analyzing all samples would give you a more reli­able answer (GMR closer to the “true” value, narrower CI). Saving money is not a striking argument for the IEC. Even if the protocol gets approved, trouble may come: ~20 years ago one of our sponsors per­formed such a study and the regulatory agency – since the validated storage interval was not ex­ceeded yet – required to get the remaining samples analyzed as well.
Overall, I don’t want to walk that road ever again.

Dif-tor heh smusma 🖖🏼 Довге життя Україна! [image]
Helmut Schütz
[image]

The quality of responses received is directly proportional to the quality of the question asked. 🚮
Science Quotes
Dr_Dan
★★  

Germany,
2014-08-15 21:37
(3540 d 19:19 ago)

@ Helmut
Posting: # 13391
Views: 4,441

Analyze part of subjects

Dear John,
I totally agree with Helmut: It is ethically not acceptable to exclude subjects from analysis once they were treated with the study medication.
The European guideline states: "The data from all treated subjects should be treated equally. It is not acceptable to have a protocol which specifies that ‘spare’ subjects will be included in the analysis only if needed as replacements for other subjects who have been excluded. It should be planned that all treated subjects should be included in the analysis, even if there are no drop-outs." O.k. this is not exactly your case but similar.
Kind regards
Dr_Dan

Kind regards and have a nice day
Dr_Dan
jag009
★★★

NJ,
2014-08-15 23:27
(3540 d 17:29 ago)

@ Dr_Dan
Posting: # 13392
Views: 4,485

Analyze part of subjects

Thank you gurus.

I knew the answer and shot it down this morning when someone brought it up but I realized it wouldn't hurt to confirm...

BTW The drug of interest is a HVD...

John
Helmut
★★★
Homepage
Vienna, Austria,
2014-08-16 01:38
(3540 d 15:18 ago)

@ jag009
Posting: # 13393
Views: 4,484

No TSD for HVDs…

Hi John,

❝ Thank you gurus.

C’mon! ;-)

❝ BTW The drug of interest is a HVD...

That limits the options. Forget any clever interim analysis, sequential stuff, whatsoever. With­out access to a supercomputer finding/validating an αadj is out of reach.

If you are not sure about the GMR, perform a pilot and consider a safety margin. On the other hand, if you are allowed to scale, the CVWR is not important at all. Higher CV ⇒ more scaling ⇒ little (if any) loss in power. Meditate about the lower plot in this post. The code isn’t finished yet, but if you tell me the goalposts (expected CV, GMR, desired power and minimum accept­able one) I can post sumfink.

PS: If you opt for a partial replicate don’t forget to state in the protocol that you will use FA0(1) because the model is crap.

Dif-tor heh smusma 🖖🏼 Довге життя Україна! [image]
Helmut Schütz
[image]

The quality of responses received is directly proportional to the quality of the question asked. 🚮
Science Quotes
UA Flag
Activity
 Admin contact
22,993 posts in 4,828 threads, 1,653 registered users;
113 visitors (0 registered, 113 guests [including 2 identified bots]).
Forum time: 16:57 CEST (Europe/Vienna)

Never never never never use Excel.
Not even for calculation of arithmetic means.    Martin Wolfsegger

The Bioequivalence and Bioavailability Forum is hosted by
BEBAC Ing. Helmut Schütz
HTML5