★★  

Russia,
2014-07-22 23:00
(3536 d 22:32 ago)

Posting: # 13294
Views: 5,059

ECG during the Moxifloxacin study [Study Per­for­mance]

Dear All,

I would like to ask you about the safety concerns during the Moxifloxacin study.
As you can see, the chapter Warnings of Prescribing information for Avelox states that "Moxifloxacin has been shown to prolong the QT interval of the electrocardiogram in some patients. The drug should be avoided in patients with known prolongation of the QT interval..."
So one can conclude that it will be important to add the exclusion criteria about size of QT. Good.
The question is: what about the follow-up control of ECG for safety reasons? (just before dosing - to exclude in case of QT prolongation and after dosing - to monitoring possible significant prolongation)

Kind regards,
Mittyri
Samaya B
☆    

India,
2014-07-23 11:00
(3536 d 10:32 ago)

@ mittyri
Posting: # 13295
Views: 4,051

ECG during the Moxifloxacin study

Dear Mittyri,

Ideally it is sufficient to take ECG (12-lead) at 0.00 hour (pre-dose) and at 2.50 hours (post-dose). The pre-dose ECG can be performed within 2 hours before dosing.

Hope this would be helpful.

Regards,
Samaya.
Dr_Dan
★★  

Germany,
2014-07-23 14:02
(3536 d 07:30 ago)

@ mittyri
Posting: # 13298
Views: 4,024

ECG during the Moxifloxacin study

Dear mittyri
I would like to point out that follow-up controls of ECG are at the responsibility of the principal investigator and (s)he must decide what needs to be done i.e. how many ECG need to be recorded. Delayed repolarization of the heart following a heartbeat increases the risk of episodes of torsades de pointes. These episodes may lead to palpitations, fainting, and sudden death due to ventricular fibrillation. Therefore, IMHO ECG must be monitored before and after drug administration. Following a 400 mg oral dose peak concentrations of 3.1 mg/l are reached within 0.5 - 4 h post administration. At least this period of time needs to be monitored.
I hope this helps.
Kind regards
Dr_Dan

Kind regards and have a nice day
Dr_Dan
UA Flag
Activity
 Admin contact
22,957 posts in 4,819 threads, 1,636 registered users;
74 visitors (0 registered, 74 guests [including 7 identified bots]).
Forum time: 20:32 CET (Europe/Vienna)

Nothing shows a lack of mathematical education more
than an overly precise calculation.    Carl Friedrich Gauß

The Bioequivalence and Bioavailability Forum is hosted by
BEBAC Ing. Helmut Schütz
HTML5