★    

India,
2014-07-01 16:29
(3576 d 15:53 ago)

Posting: # 13189
Views: 6,259

Half life and Tmax [PK / PD]

Dear Sir,

Please explain me that how it is possible that half life is early or less that its Tmax. For one drug half life is 5hrs and Tmax is 13hrs. Please explain how it is?

Thank You
Pravin

Edit: Category changed. [Helmut]
ElMaestro
★★★

Denmark,
2014-07-01 17:04
(3576 d 15:18 ago)

@ pravin17
Posting: # 13191
Views: 5,317

Half life and Tmax

Hi Pravin17,

❝ Please explain me that how it is possible that half life is early or less that its Tmax. For one drug half life is 5hrs and Tmax is 13hrs. Please explain how it is?

Tmax (and Cmax) reflect how quickly the drug becomes absorbed. The half-life reflects how quickly it gets out of the blood once it is already absorbed.
Elimination is done by processes that are completely different from processes relating to absorption so you shouldn't expect too much relation. To make it all more confusing all molecules known to science display a marked lack of social skills. In fact I'd go as far as calling them egocentric: Those absorbed generally agree to being eliminated from the body without waiting for all the unabsorbed colleagues to become absorbed.

And SODF with a Tmax of 13 hrs. could also be a formulation phenomenon. MR?

Pass or fail!
ElMaestro
Helmut
★★★
Homepage
Vienna, Austria,
2014-07-01 17:10
(3576 d 15:12 ago)

@ pravin17
Posting: # 13192
Views: 5,266

PK basics…

Hi Pravin,

❝ Dear Sir,

▲▲ Not interested in opinions of female members of the Forum?

❝ Please explain me that how it is possible that half life is early or less that its Tmax. For one drug half life is 5hrs and Tmax is 13hrs.

Absorption is independent from distribution/elimination. What we “see” in the very late part of the pro­file reflects the slowest rate-constant of the drug’s PK (not necessarily elimination). Your example is typical for a controlled release formulation. Once we cross the Rubicon of flip-flop PK (ka ≤ kel) what you call “half life” likely describes absorption – not elimination.

Dif-tor heh smusma 🖖🏼 Довге життя Україна! [image]
Helmut Schütz
[image]

The quality of responses received is directly proportional to the quality of the question asked. 🚮
Science Quotes
pravin17
★    

India,
2014-07-11 10:28
(3566 d 21:53 ago)

@ Helmut
Posting: # 13258
Views: 5,096

PK basics…

Thank you for clarification!!

Dear All, I am very sorry for just mentioning sir only!

Thanks
Pravin
UA Flag
Activity
 Admin contact
22,984 posts in 4,822 threads, 1,651 registered users;
51 visitors (0 registered, 51 guests [including 4 identified bots]).
Forum time: 08:22 CEST (Europe/Vienna)

You can’t fix by analysis
what you bungled by design.    Richard J. Light, Judith D. Singer, John B. Willett

The Bioequivalence and Bioavailability Forum is hosted by
BEBAC Ing. Helmut Schütz
HTML5