Moses CI [Nonparametrics]

posted by Helmut Homepage – Vienna, Austria, 2009-01-26 20:43 (5562 d 07:18 ago) – Posting: # 3128
Views: 14,345

Dear Andrew,

the Hodges-Lehmann estimator is just the median of the Walsh averages.1 But obviously you are able to calculate the cumulative distribution function – I guess you are more interested in obtaining the confidence interval (according to Moses)? I used an old reference* (in FORTRAN) to calculate the critical values (α 0.05) for up to 64 subjects (m=n=32) and the exact error probabilities as well.
I uploaded two files (in CSV-format, variable separator semicolon, decimal separator period):
  1. Critical values
  2. Error probabilies
    I take no responsibilities about correctness whatsover!
I would suggest looking for suitable software (Cytel’s StatXact, SAS PROC StatXact,…), or go with the normal approximation – at least to check the outcome.

For your example (m=26, n=26) the lower critical value according to the first table is 248 and upper one is calculated according to m × n - 248 + 1 with 429.
The normal approximation is calculated according to
m × n/2 – Z0.05 × √m × n × (m+n+1)/12 (rounded to the next lower integer) with 248.
The normal approximation is always conservative (α ≤0.05); 57.3% of the 900 critical values match the exact ones, the remaining 42.7% would calculate one rank lower than the exact one (hence the CI will be wider). Although some textbooks state that the approximation should be used only if m≥8, n≥8 I can’t see any pattern (i.e., an improvement towards the exact value for higher m,n).

According to the second table the exact error probability for m=n=26 is 0.0498 (1 – 2α = 0.9004).

1. Pairwise averages: (Xi+Xj)/2 for all i≤j.
  2. Dinneen LC, Blakesley BC. Algorithm AS 62: A Generator for the Sampling Distribution of the Mann-Whitney U Statistic. Appl Stat. 1973;22:269–73.

Dif-tor heh smusma 🖖🏼 Довге життя Україна! [image]
Helmut Schütz
[image]

The quality of responses received is directly proportional to the quality of the question asked. 🚮
Science Quotes

Complete thread:

UA Flag
Activity
 Admin contact
22,988 posts in 4,825 threads, 1,653 registered users;
94 visitors (0 registered, 94 guests [including 11 identified bots]).
Forum time: 05:02 CEST (Europe/Vienna)

The whole purpose of education is
to turn mirrors into windows.    Sydney J. Harris

The Bioequivalence and Bioavailability Forum is hosted by
BEBAC Ing. Helmut Schütz
HTML5