Statistical independence, what is it? I mean really, what is it?? [General Sta­tis­tics]

posted by ElMaestro  – Denmark, 2020-06-27 23:35 (1388 d 10:31 ago) – Posting: # 21582
Views: 5,463

Hi all,

what is statistical independence in layman's terms?? I thought I had a basic understanding of it, but now I am not so sure.

For example: Wikipedia mentions on the page for the t distribution that t=Z/s where Z and s are independent, and Z = (sample mean - mean) and s is the sample sd divided by square root of n.

Given that any perturbation on the data that changes Z will (may) also change s, I am kind of slightly conflicted regarding my own idea of independence.

I am not so much looking for a textbook explaining what it is, or a link to some web page or other. I probably read those links that are the first 50 on google and got nowhere. Rather, I am humbly looking for an explanation that appeals to my braincells, the number of which is very, very limited.
Muchas gracias.

Pass or fail!
ElMaestro

Complete thread:

UA Flag
Activity
 Admin contact
22,984 posts in 4,822 threads, 1,651 registered users;
49 visitors (0 registered, 49 guests [including 4 identified bots]).
Forum time: 10:06 CEST (Europe/Vienna)

You can’t fix by analysis
what you bungled by design.    Richard J. Light, Judith D. Singer, John B. Willett

The Bioequivalence and Bioavailability Forum is hosted by
BEBAC Ing. Helmut Schütz
HTML5