Geometric mean and CV [Power / Sample Size]

posted by Helmut Homepage – Vienna, Austria, 2019-09-06 02:15 (1687 d 23:28 ago) – Posting: # 20546
Views: 6,391

Hi Rocco,

❝ […] is it even reasonable to use the geometric CV for the reference? Isn’t the CV you want to input into a sample calculation the CV corresponding to the difference of the Test and Reference? Since you do not have the Test group here, I am a bit confused as to what using the geometric CV of only the reference tells you. In your slides, you have a lone that says “if you have only mean and sd of the reference, a pilot study is unavoidable.”

❝ What am I missing?

Oh dear, my slides always give only half of the picture (my :blahblah: is missing)…
Let’s start from a 2×2×2 crossover. We have the within-subject variabilities of T and R (CVwT and CVwR). Since this is not a replicate design, they are not accessible and pooled into the common CVw.1 One of the assumptions in ANOVA are identical variances. If they are not truly equal (say CVwT < CVwR) the CI is inflated: The “good” T is punished by the “bad” R.
Similar in a parallel design. You can assume that CVwT = CVwR and CVbT = CVbR and therefore, use the (pooled, total) CVp of your FIM study. Here it is the other way ’round (you have the CVp of R). If the CV of T is higher, bad luck, power compromised. If both are ~ equal, fine. If it is lower, you gain power. There is no free lunch.
If you are cautious: Pilot study or a Two-Stage-Design.2 For the latter I recommend the function power.tsd.p() of package Power2Stage for [image]. A reasonable stage 1 sample size is ~80% of what you estimate with sampleN.TOST(alpha=0.05...) of package PowerTOST and the CVp of your FIM.

1. Of course, the same holds for between-subject variabilities: CVbT and CVbR pooled to CVb.
  2. Fuglsang A. Sequential Bioequivalence Approaches for Parallel Design. AAPS J. 2014; 16(3):373–8. doi:10.1208/s1224801495711. [image] Open access.

Dif-tor heh smusma 🖖🏼 Довге життя Україна! [image]
Helmut Schütz
[image]

The quality of responses received is directly proportional to the quality of the question asked. 🚮
Science Quotes

Complete thread:

UA Flag
Activity
 Admin contact
22,988 posts in 4,825 threads, 1,654 registered users;
89 visitors (0 registered, 89 guests [including 2 identified bots]).
Forum time: 01:44 CEST (Europe/Vienna)

The only way to comprehend what mathematicians mean by Infinity
is to contemplate the extent of human stupidity.    Voltaire

The Bioequivalence and Bioavailability Forum is hosted by
BEBAC Ing. Helmut Schütz
HTML5