Of historic(al) interest only [Power / Sample Size]

posted by Helmut Homepage – Vienna, Austria, 2019-03-19 14:27 (1836 d 04:20 ago) – Posting: # 20051
Views: 6,316

Hi sury,

❝ I want to include the deletti tables in my SOP references …

I don’t understand. You have already an SOP without references – what does it say? How do you estimate a sample size right now?

These tables for α 0.05 (90% CI), 70/80/90% power andare hopelessly behind state of the art!

Since power is nonlinear, you can’t easily interpolate if you are interested in anything not given in the tables. What if you want another α (two-stage adaptive and group-sequential designs) or an acceptance range of 75.00–133.33% (applicable in some jurisdictions for Cmax)?
NB, if you are interested in reference-scaling (FDA: RSABE, EMA: ABEL) you need yet other tables (covered designs: TRR|RTR|RRT and TRTR|RTRT).3 No tables exist for other designs (e.g., TRT|RTR – which is better than the lousy partial replicate), Health Canada’s ABEL, and the FDA’s RSABE for NTIDS.

Hence, I strongly suggest to opt for software, i.e., package PowerTOST4 for [image] which supports all of those (plus paired and parallel designs, non-inferiority/-superiority, Fieller’s CI of ratios, dose-proportionality, …). ;-)

1. Diletti E, Hauschke D, Steinijans VW. Sample size determination for bioequivalence assessment by means of confidence intervals. Int J Clin Pharm Ther Toxicol. 1991;29(1):1–8.
  2. Diletti E, Hauschke D, Steinijans VW. Sample size determination: Extended tables for the multiplicative model and bioequivalence ranges of 0.9 to 1.11 and 0.7 to 1.43. Int J Clin Pharm Ther Toxicol. 1992;30(8):287–90.
  3. Tóthfalusi L, Endrényi L. Sample Sizes for Designing Bioequivalence Studies for Highly Variable Drugs. J Pharm Pharmaceut Sci. 2011;15(1):73–84. [image] open access.
  4. Labes D, Schütz H, Lang B. PowerTOST: Power and Sample Size Based on Two One-Sided t-Tests (TOST) for (Bio)Equivalence Studies. 2018-04-12;1.4-7.
    https://cran.r-project.org/package=PowerTOST.

Dif-tor heh smusma 🖖🏼 Довге життя Україна! [image]
Helmut Schütz
[image]

The quality of responses received is directly proportional to the quality of the question asked. 🚮
Science Quotes

Complete thread:

UA Flag
Activity
 Admin contact
22,957 posts in 4,819 threads, 1,636 registered users;
76 visitors (0 registered, 76 guests [including 5 identified bots]).
Forum time: 18:48 CET (Europe/Vienna)

Nothing shows a lack of mathematical education more
than an overly precise calculation.    Carl Friedrich Gauß

The Bioequivalence and Bioavailability Forum is hosted by
BEBAC Ing. Helmut Schütz
HTML5