Model Type III Sum of Squares [General Sta­tis­tics]

posted by Obinoscopy  – USA, 2018-12-18 20:10 (1927 d 20:09 ago) – Posting: # 19697
Views: 5,743

Thanks so much ElMaestro. I think I have an improved grasp of the different SS Types now thanks to you.

I also want to use the Venn Diagram when looking at the method of calculating the SSs. I am imagining a Venn Diagram with Factors A, B and C pictured as spheres that sometimes overlap.

For Type I, if I want to determine the SS for factor A first then we have SS(A). Then if the next is factor B, we have to remove the component of A in B which gives SS(B∩A'). And finally for C, we have SS(C∩A'∩B').

For Type III, we just do SS(A), SS(B) and SS(C). or something in that light. I don't know if it's the right way to imagine it.

However I want to confirm the statement that "SS results for Type I and III are the same for a balanced design". Is that true?

I read it somewhere. Though I noticed they mentioned orthogonality as well.

❝ Try and look at type I SS and specify subject before sequence, and sequence before subject and see what happens :-). Play around. Type I SS's will add up (the relative drawback is that the SS's for each factor can depend on which factors specified before others), but type III SS's won't necessarily add up.

I will definitely play around :). Thanks.

Regards,

Scopy

Complete thread:

UA Flag
Activity
 Admin contact
22,957 posts in 4,819 threads, 1,636 registered users;
106 visitors (0 registered, 106 guests [including 10 identified bots]).
Forum time: 16:20 CET (Europe/Vienna)

With four parameters I can fit an elephant,
and with five I can make him wiggle his trunk.    John von Neumann

The Bioequivalence and Bioavailability Forum is hosted by
BEBAC Ing. Helmut Schütz
HTML5