Model Type III Sum of Squares [General Sta­tis­tics]

posted by Obinoscopy  – USA, 2018-12-18 20:10 (1948 d 21:01 ago) – Posting: # 19697
Views: 5,826

Thanks so much ElMaestro. I think I have an improved grasp of the different SS Types now thanks to you.

I also want to use the Venn Diagram when looking at the method of calculating the SSs. I am imagining a Venn Diagram with Factors A, B and C pictured as spheres that sometimes overlap.

For Type I, if I want to determine the SS for factor A first then we have SS(A). Then if the next is factor B, we have to remove the component of A in B which gives SS(B∩A'). And finally for C, we have SS(C∩A'∩B').

For Type III, we just do SS(A), SS(B) and SS(C). or something in that light. I don't know if it's the right way to imagine it.

However I want to confirm the statement that "SS results for Type I and III are the same for a balanced design". Is that true?

I read it somewhere. Though I noticed they mentioned orthogonality as well.

❝ Try and look at type I SS and specify subject before sequence, and sequence before subject and see what happens :-). Play around. Type I SS's will add up (the relative drawback is that the SS's for each factor can depend on which factors specified before others), but type III SS's won't necessarily add up.

I will definitely play around :). Thanks.

Regards,

Scopy

Complete thread:

UA Flag
Activity
 Admin contact
22,988 posts in 4,825 threads, 1,661 registered users;
84 visitors (1 registered, 83 guests [including 5 identified bots]).
Forum time: 18:11 CEST (Europe/Vienna)

The only way to comprehend what mathematicians mean by Infinity
is to contemplate the extent of human stupidity.    Voltaire

The Bioequivalence and Bioavailability Forum is hosted by
BEBAC Ing. Helmut Schütz
HTML5