What is clinically relevant? [Design Issues]

posted by Helmut Homepage – Vienna, Austria, 2018-04-07 00:05 (2182 d 20:41 ago) – Posting: # 18649
Views: 5,374

Hi BF,

❝ I believe the spaghetti plots you posted are actually indicative of a infusion of unbound drug.

❝ Release of the encapsulated form follows first order kinetics and is Sequential - kind of like metabolic clearance from parent --> metabolite.

Did you notice the different concentrations scales (encapsulated doxorubicin: µg/mL, free: ng/mL)? On the average free is less than 1% of encapsulated. With just three sampling times during infusion I would say it is not possible to separate zero order (encapsulated) from first order (release from the liposomes).

❝ Luckily, you also posted the parent/metabolite curve for doxorubinol. Because of similarity in process, if no free drug is infused, bound and unbound PK should follow the same general shape we see in parent + metabolite.

What do you mean by bound + unbound? Encapsulated and free?

❝ The fact that total + free dox concentrations are colinear is pretty strong evidence for co-infusion of bound + unbound.

I still don’t think so. The release can be quite quick. Hence, the shapes looks similar but the concentrations of free doxo are always pretty low compared to encapsulated doxo.

❝ Further, the fact that there isn't a lag time in unbound, as well as a nonlinear shape, is evidence, too.

Again, I would contradict that. I don’t expect a lag-time. I would rather say that doxo follows Le Chatelier’s principle and is simply driven out from the liposomes due to the concentration gradient (Cliposomes > Cblood).

Dif-tor heh smusma 🖖🏼 Довге життя Україна! [image]
Helmut Schütz
[image]

The quality of responses received is directly proportional to the quality of the question asked. 🚮
Science Quotes

Complete thread:

UA Flag
Activity
 Admin contact
22,957 posts in 4,819 threads, 1,636 registered users;
82 visitors (0 registered, 82 guests [including 7 identified bots]).
Forum time: 19:46 CET (Europe/Vienna)

Nothing shows a lack of mathematical education more
than an overly precise calculation.    Carl Friedrich Gauß

The Bioequivalence and Bioavailability Forum is hosted by
BEBAC Ing. Helmut Schütz
HTML5