Bioequivalence and Bioavailability Forum 01:13 CET

Main page Policy/Terms of Use Abbreviations Latest Posts

Log in |  Register |  Search

N(μ, σ²) [Software]

posted by Helmut Homepage - Vienna, Austria, 2017-09-04 13:32  - Posting: # 17772
Views: 7,665

Hi Yong,

» » » I prefer the following formula :
» » » intersubject CV = sqrt(Var(Sequence*Subject)) / RefLSM
» » Why?
» Because this is also used for ln_transformed data.

No it isn’t! Back to the basics. The model of a 2×2×2 crossover assumes [sic] IID. For log-transformed data:
log(μTμR) = μT − μR, which is estimated by the difference of the LSMs of log-transformed data xT − xR. Now it gets interesting (i.e., the assumption!): In the balanced case for simplicity (where n1 = n2 and n = n1 + n2), xT − xR follows a normal distribution N(log(μTμR), 2σ2n)).
Since σ2 is unknown, it is estimated by the MSE from ANOVA. Then we can estimate CV = √MSE − 1. Do you see xR in this derivation? I don’t. Remember that the normal distribution is described by two parameters, μ and σ2, which are independent. If you are interested in the variance component, please leave the mean(s) completely out of it (as it it correctly done in PHX/WNL for log-transformed data).[image]

» Like one formula for intrasubject CV for both transformed and none transformed data, I think this formula is generally accepted both for transformed and none transformed data.

I think that for untransformed data dividing MSE by LSMR goes back to Kem Phillips, who wrote*

σ being expressed as a percentage of a reference mean, that is, as a coefficient of variation; values of the difference in means are expressed as percentages of the same reference mean.

That’s unfortunate and IMHO, not correct at all (Wolfgang Pauli would say: That is not only not right; it is not even wrong!). Again: The mean and variance are independent. So, the more I think about it: Even my idea of using the weighted global mean does not make sense. Paraphrasing Ste­phen Senn: Proving that apples are oranges by comparing the weight.

Cheers,
Helmut Schütz
[image]

The quality of responses received is directly proportional to the quality of the question asked. ☼
Science Quotes

Complete thread:

Activity
 Mix view
Bioequivalence and Bioavailability Forum |  Admin contact
19,154 posts in 4,080 threads, 1,308 registered users;
online 13 (0 registered, 13 guests [including 9 identified bots]).

One can show the following: given any rule, however “fundamental”
or “necessary” for science, there are always circumstances
when it is advisable not only to ignore the rule,
but to adopt its opposite.    Paul Feyerabend

The BIOEQUIVALENCE / BIOAVAILABILITY FORUM is hosted by
BEBAC Ing. Helmut Schütz
HTML5 RSS Feed