Between-batch precision – a misnomer? [Bioanalytics]

posted by ElMaestro  – Denmark, 2017-07-14 12:37 (2468 d 03:14 ago) – Posting: # 17546
Views: 6,012

Hi all,

I regularly look at bioanalytical validations where between-batch (between-run etc) precision is addressed.
Typically, the CRO or lab will study m batches (runs) with n injections of a given QC level. You can think of it as m vectors of length n containing concentration estimates.

Between-batch precision is typically evaluated by calculating the SD across all n x m values, then dividing by the grand mean, and that seems to generally pass a regulatory inspection.
But that isn't really between-batch precision, by any reasonable definition of between-batch, in my opinion. It is precision without regard to within and between, because the calculation sd does not take into account where the values came from.

If we were to truly evaluate between-batch precision (i.e. what is the CV of our estimate between batches) then we could study m batches, extract the m means and do precision on the means. The reason it isn't done in practice is apparently that it is too complicated or labour intensive (we'd need more than the usual m=3).

If we wish to accept companies just doing sd from the m x n values and using this to qualify the validation then we shouldn't call it between-batch precision. Or alternatively, if we wish to insist on working on an experiment called between-batch precision then we should calculate it differently.

That's my totallly unqualified opinion on this mighty pleasant Friday morning. I only had 1 L of covfefe so far so pardon me if any part of this post can resemble grumpiness. :-)

Pass or fail!
ElMaestro

Complete thread:

UA Flag
Activity
 Admin contact
22,984 posts in 4,822 threads, 1,651 registered users;
47 visitors (0 registered, 47 guests [including 8 identified bots]).
Forum time: 15:52 CEST (Europe/Vienna)

You can’t fix by analysis
what you bungled by design.    Richard J. Light, Judith D. Singer, John B. Willett

The Bioequivalence and Bioavailability Forum is hosted by
BEBAC Ing. Helmut Schütz
HTML5