More samples – less variability (for Cmax) [Design Issues]

posted by Helmut Homepage – Vienna, Austria, 2017-05-23 14:56 (2528 d 00:17 ago) – Posting: # 17393
Views: 4,458

Hi nobody,

❝ Lately I recognize a trend to increase number of samples in study designs for BE-studies to considerably more than 20 per application even for "simple" IR formulations.

❝ First thought: $$$$ (CRO designs study :-) )

Always correct but I think it’s more this one:

❝ Second thought: Might there be a lower variability e.g. for Cmax with increased number of samples around Cmax (effect on AUC will be lower, in the absence of secondary peaks, I guess)? Gut feeling tells me: Possible. But to a relevant extent? Does increase in number of samples from about 16 (oldschool) to far beyond 20 really buy something regarding "quality" of data?

Makes sense. See this oldie.

❝ Isn't there an ethical/practical limit for blood sampling (from the top of my head I remember an absolute limit for blood volume to be taken within a trial...)?

Yes there is. The total volume in the study should not exceed the one of a blood donation (if unavoidable, longer washout, measurement of HCT before later administrations, eventual exclusion of subjects…). But in the old days 10 mL / sample were taken and nowadays 5 mL are common. Still not an issue even for replicate designs. For really extensive sampling (i.e., gastric resistant formulations) 4-period replicate designs are problematic and 3-period replicates might be the only way out.

Since for the EMA AUC72 is acceptable for all IR products, in my studies I shift sampling towards the expected tmax since a reliable estimation of λz is no more needed.

Would be fun to simulate that. Makes a nice paper.

Dif-tor heh smusma 🖖🏼 Довге життя Україна! [image]
Helmut Schütz
[image]

The quality of responses received is directly proportional to the quality of the question asked. 🚮
Science Quotes

Complete thread:

UA Flag
Activity
 Admin contact
22,993 posts in 4,828 threads, 1,658 registered users;
55 visitors (0 registered, 55 guests [including 4 identified bots]).
Forum time: 15:13 CEST (Europe/Vienna)

So far as I can remember,
there is not one word in the Gospels
in praise of intelligence.    Bertrand Russell

The Bioequivalence and Bioavailability Forum is hosted by
BEBAC Ing. Helmut Schütz
HTML5