More samples – less variability (for Cmax)? [Design Issues]

posted by nobody – 2017-05-23 11:07 (2523 d 11:48 ago) – Posting: # 17390
Views: 4,977

Hi again!

Lately I recognize a trend to increase number of samples in study designs for BE-studies to considerably more than 20 per application even for "simple" IR formulations.

First thought: $$$$ (CRO designs study :-) )

Second thought: Might there be a lower variability e.g. for Cmax with increased number of samples around Cmax (effect on AUC will be lower, in the absence of secondary peaks, I guess)? Gut feeling tells me: Possible. But to a relevant extent? Does increase in number of samples from about 16 (oldschool) to far beyond 20 really buy something regarding "quality" of data?

Isn't there an ethical/practical limit for blood sampling (from the top of my head I remember an absolute limit for blood volume to be taken within a trial...)?

Found some publications on the effect of sampling interval on outcome of BE-studies, but only limited systematic studies on number of samples, especially LSM (limited sampling models) appear to have been hip around year 2000.

Int J Clin Pharmacol Ther. 1999 Jun;37(6):275-81.
A limited sampling approach in bioequivalence studies: application to long half-life drugs and replicate design studies.
Mahmood I1, Mahayni H.

Biopharm Drug Dispos. 2001 Jul;22(5):179-90.
Evaluation of a limited sampling method used to determine the bioequivalence of highly variable drugs with long half-lives.
Jackson AJ

Any opinions/experience/feelings on that?

Kindest regards, nobody

Complete thread:

UA Flag
Activity
 Admin contact
22,988 posts in 4,825 threads, 1,661 registered users;
97 visitors (0 registered, 97 guests [including 2 identified bots]).
Forum time: 22:55 CEST (Europe/Vienna)

The only way to comprehend what mathematicians mean by Infinity
is to contemplate the extent of human stupidity.    Voltaire

The Bioequivalence and Bioavailability Forum is hosted by
BEBAC Ing. Helmut Schütz
HTML5