Calculation of Loading and Maintenance dose for Sustained release tablet [PK / PD]

posted by Dr. Amolkumar – India, 2017-04-13 15:27 (2540 d 21:05 ago) – Posting: # 17235
Views: 2,668

Dear sir,

I am working on a project for development of Sustained release tablet (once or twice daily) against immediate release tablets (Conventional: 3 times a day, tau 8 h).
I have calculate Loading dose (Css X Vd), Rate for maintenance dose (Css X CL), Dose to be maintain (Total daily dose of Immediate release tablets - Loading dose), No. of hours required for maintenance dose (Maintenance dose / Rate for maintenance) and Total no. of hours for complete drug release (Tmax + No. of hours required for maintenance dose).

My questions are-
1. For the above calculation, I have consider the values of AUC last, Vd, CL, Tmax from the literature of drug of multiple oral doses. Am I right?
2. Is the obtained loading dose concentration (mg/h) for first hour or Tmax or anything else?
3. Should I have to multiply by Tmax to Loading dose for claiming that this Loading dose concentration is at Tmax ? or obtained Loading dose conc. itself is conc. at Tmax ?
4. Is that I am right or wrong for calculating Total no. of hours for complete drug release as mentioned above ?
5. By the above mentioned formula of Total no. of hours for complete drug release, the obtained answer is less than 24 hours. Then how should I claim that my SR tablet is sustainable for 24 hours ?
6. How can I calculate the no. of hours for maintenance dose till 24 hours considering the Rate for maintenance dose? and their release concentration required for every one/two hours till 100 % release at 24 hours ?
7. Can I plan for two sustained release tablets against three Immediate release tablets having same daily dose ?

Your reply will be benchmark to me for thinking here onward on such projects.:confused:
Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Dr. Amolkumar

Complete thread:

UA Flag
Activity
 Admin contact
22,957 posts in 4,819 threads, 1,639 registered users;
106 visitors (0 registered, 106 guests [including 6 identified bots]).
Forum time: 11:33 CET (Europe/Vienna)

Nothing shows a lack of mathematical education more
than an overly precise calculation.    Carl Friedrich Gauß

The Bioequivalence and Bioavailability Forum is hosted by
BEBAC Ing. Helmut Schütz
HTML5