Double peak in hydroxychloroquine plasma curves [Dissolution / BCS / IVIVC]

posted by helena colom – Spain, 2017-02-02 22:51 (2611 d 00:08 ago) – Posting: # 17003
Views: 3,757

Dear all,
I have some double peak concentrations in almost all plasma concentration vs time curves of hydroxichloroquine sulfate (BCS class III drug) both for a test and a reference products (IR formulations). A large variability has been previously described for this drug in the literature, but nothing can be found about double peak concentrations.

I wonder if it could be due to an absorption window. The only think I was able to found is that the logP value is about 3.85, logD values change from 0.66 (pH=7.4) to -3.67 (pH=5.2) and the Pkas of the drug are 9.67 and 8.27.

Then, I wonder if as the pH increases along the GI tract, higher absorption takes place due to higher non-ionized fraction of the drug and lipophylicity, all this resulting in a second absorption peak, usually higher than the first one. I have often seen such kind of profiles with depot complex such as for exemple procaine-penicilline , but not in cases as the current so that I am not sure that my hypothesis can be correct. I would appreciate your opinion about this.

helen

Complete thread:

UA Flag
Activity
 Admin contact
22,957 posts in 4,819 threads, 1,636 registered users;
73 visitors (0 registered, 73 guests [including 6 identified bots]).
Forum time: 23:00 CET (Europe/Vienna)

Nothing shows a lack of mathematical education more
than an overly precise calculation.    Carl Friedrich Gauß

The Bioequivalence and Bioavailability Forum is hosted by
BEBAC Ing. Helmut Schütz
HTML5