Double peak in hydroxychloroquine plasma curves [Dissolution / BCS / IVIVC]

posted by helena colom – Spain, 2017-02-02 22:51 (2632 d 03:15 ago) – Posting: # 17003
Views: 3,828

Dear all,
I have some double peak concentrations in almost all plasma concentration vs time curves of hydroxichloroquine sulfate (BCS class III drug) both for a test and a reference products (IR formulations). A large variability has been previously described for this drug in the literature, but nothing can be found about double peak concentrations.

I wonder if it could be due to an absorption window. The only think I was able to found is that the logP value is about 3.85, logD values change from 0.66 (pH=7.4) to -3.67 (pH=5.2) and the Pkas of the drug are 9.67 and 8.27.

Then, I wonder if as the pH increases along the GI tract, higher absorption takes place due to higher non-ionized fraction of the drug and lipophylicity, all this resulting in a second absorption peak, usually higher than the first one. I have often seen such kind of profiles with depot complex such as for exemple procaine-penicilline , but not in cases as the current so that I am not sure that my hypothesis can be correct. I would appreciate your opinion about this.

helen

Complete thread:

UA Flag
Activity
 Admin contact
22,986 posts in 4,823 threads, 1,667 registered users;
72 visitors (1 registered, 71 guests [including 6 identified bots]).
Forum time: 03:07 CEST (Europe/Vienna)

The only way to comprehend what mathematicians mean by Infinity
is to contemplate the extent of human stupidity.    Voltaire

The Bioequivalence and Bioavailability Forum is hosted by
BEBAC Ing. Helmut Schütz
HTML5