Bingo! [Two-Stage / GS Designs]

posted by Helmut Homepage – Vienna, Austria, 2016-12-30 20:00 (2667 d 18:35 ago) – Posting: # 16916
Views: 5,706

Hi ElMaestro,

now you got it!

❝ – the alpha2 that works for n2,min=2 or 0 or 1 or whatever is not necessarily the alpha2 that works for n2,min=1.5*n1, all other factors being equal.

Yes.

❝ It is tempting to say power increases with sample size, and since type I error is a kind of power, this is the logic behind the observation.

Yes.

❝ I think the issue is somewhat more complex than just that. These two-stage thingies are funny objects that defy all kinds of logic.

Maybe and yes.

❝ Does it change anything though??

For me, no.

❝ I mean you and I both argued in the past that universally functional alpha's do not exist, so whenever someone makes a smart/clever/sophisticated/dumb/intelligent/braindead amendment to Potvin B or C etc, then simulations should always be undertaken to make sure the type I error is not compromised.

Exactly. To quote Jones and Kenward.*

[…] before using any of the methods […], their operating characteristics should be evaluated for a range of values of n1, CV and true ratio of means that are of interest, in order to decide if the Type I error rate is controlled, the power is adequate and the potential maximum total sample size is not too great.

(my emphases)

Dif-tor heh smusma 🖖🏼 Довге життя Україна! [image]
Helmut Schütz
[image]

The quality of responses received is directly proportional to the quality of the question asked. 🚮
Science Quotes

Complete thread:

UA Flag
Activity
 Admin contact
22,988 posts in 4,825 threads, 1,655 registered users;
89 visitors (0 registered, 89 guests [including 4 identified bots]).
Forum time: 15:35 CEST (Europe/Vienna)

The whole purpose of education is
to turn mirrors into windows.    Sydney J. Harris

The Bioequivalence and Bioavailability Forum is hosted by
BEBAC Ing. Helmut Schütz
HTML5